British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-10-13, 02:45 AM

Default On eBay

I just had to post this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390674503961...ht_1277wt_1161

It gives me the same feeling I get from rolling a loony down the sidewalk on the 100 Block of East Hastings Street (Vancouver, BC).

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 07-10-13, 06:46 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Herring View Post
I just had to post this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390674503961...ht_1277wt_1161

It gives me the same feeling I get from rolling a loony down the sidewalk on the 100 Block of East Hastings Street (Vancouver, BC).

Phil
Phil,
Nice one. I can also see any dodgy Brit dealer using that "get out of jail free card" quote:-
"Please note that we are not experts in this area. We have described this item to the best of our ability given the limited reference material available to us at this time. Any error or oversight is purely unintentional and is in no way a deliberate attempt to mislead the buyer.
Maybe they have taken legal advice....
David
Old 07-10-13, 10:41 AM

David,

In all fairness to this seller, he seems to be selling off a very good collection. I have no doubt that this is an original badge. I have purchased other badge s from him.

Phil

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 07-10-13, 10:54 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Phil,
I can't really comment on the dealers honesty (I have had no dealings with him at all) but I do so love the disclaimer he is using and can quite imagine a few people known to me where it is an appropriate "disclaimer" covering all.
By the way, I never managed to get through to that number and have never received an email acknowledgement, so I assume that he/she is now out of business. Many thanks for your help. David
Old 07-10-13, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wright241 View Post
Phil,
I can't really comment on the dealers honesty (I have had no dealings with him at all) but I do so love the disclaimer he is using and can quite imagine a few people known to me where it is an appropriate "disclaimer" covering all.
By the way, I never managed to get through to that number and have never received an email acknowledgement, so I assume that he/she is now out of business. Many thanks for your help. David
I don't know what the issue is here. As Phil said, the CanParas looks to be a good badge. Their disclaimer is a US dealer admitting that Canadian/British items are outside their area of expertise; they use no disclaimer on their US military listings. I've dealt with these folks a few times with no cause for concern. They have always responded to my e-mail questions, have corrected listings when I have e-mailed them info, and they have a 14 day return policy.

BTW, Phil, what sort of feeling DO you get rolling a loonie down E. Hastings? I'd be too worried about covering my butt to pay any attention to the coin
Old 07-10-13, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Herring View Post

Phil
I'm not familiar with Vancouver so I guess that's why I don't understand.... I'm assuming that this is a negative feeling?
Old 07-10-13, 05:41 PM

Have to go back to whats called "non-PC speak" these days, but "Rolling a loony" to most English people would meaning rolling someone who is "brain impaired" down the road.... Of course, one can't refer to anyone with this mental disability anymore. However, there are people who do not have any mental disability that are still loonies or at least act in the same way - good examples are the total idiots shown doing moronic things on the TV program "You've Been Framed". I find it amusing that you guys use the word in another way.
David
Old 07-10-13, 05:46 PM
Banned

Here you go David, a clue that explains at least part of Phil's statement:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loonie

Maybe this thread would have been better confined (no pun intended) to the Canadian section where it would have been more widely understood.

Regards

Ry

EDIT: And here is the answer to the second part of the riddle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downtown_Eastside
Old 07-10-13, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie585 View Post
EDIT: And here is the answer to the second part of the riddle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downtown_Eastside
Hmm, are those Phil's feet under those cops by the dumpster? FYI: I drank beer in the New Dodson and lived! Had to sit with my back to the wall nearest table to the doors I could find, and do my best to ignore the blood splatter from the just-resolved knife fight. Ahh, stupidity of youth...
Old 07-10-13, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
Hmm, are those Phil's feet under those cops by the dumpster? FYI: I drank beer in the New Dodson and lived! Had to sit with my back to the wall nearest table to the doors I could find, and do my best to ignore the blood splatter from the just-resolved knife fight. Ahh, stupidity of youth...
The last time I took my kids to Vancouver, we visited an old friend in Shaughnessy Heights and then I took my kids on a tour of the Downtown East Side to see how the other half "lives". When I was attending UBC, it was still possible to walk along Hastings (east of Main) without any trouble at all.

Phil