British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-11-20, 02:38 PM

Default Bataillon rouge ... canadian unit ???

Hello Gentlement,

Could you help me to identify this badge ... I thought first that it could be from Spain War ... but ... the tank looks like a MkIII, there is a "1st" in the wings and the text in french "Bataillon rouge" make me think about Canada ...

Best regards .. Herve
Old 03-11-20, 01:15 PM

I believe the tank on the badge is French, possibly an AMR 35, which I assume was intriduced in 1935 - hence the date on the badge.

It certainly isn't a Canadian badge. Wrong style and non of our armoured regiments were named 'XXX Battalion'.
Old 03-11-20, 04:44 PM

Hi Peter,

As far as we know it is not french ...
the tank really looks like the Light tank MKIII rather than a Stuart M8 ...

I have just found this in a canadian website ... (sorry in french, from Quebec)
http://archives-2001-2012.cmaq.net/fr/node/13312.html

"Il a annonce les cinq temoins policiers.
Le premier de ceux-ci s appelle Charles Lemay et il etait capitaine-adjoint de l unite d urgence Est de la Surete du Quebec (SQ), dont la principale fonction est la repression des manifs et des greves. Lemay etait responsable d une Compagnie qui compte 3 pelotons d une trentaine de policiers chaque et une quinzaine d enqueteurs. Sa compagnie faisait partie du Bataillon Rouge, avec la compagnie de Montreal (unite d urgence Est de la SQ), le Service de Police de la Ville de Quebec (SPVQ) et 5 troupes de la Gendarmerie Royale du Canada (GRC). Le Bataillon Rouge etait le dernier rempart de l Etat (avant l armee) pour intervenir en cas de grabuge dans des manifs. Il y avait aussi des Bataillons d autres couleurs : blanc, jaune, bleu et vert."

It seems it exists a police unit called "Bataillon Rouge" ... "1st" could mean the 1st company ... perhaps a track to explore.

Best regards .. Herve
Old 03-11-20, 04:50 PM

Translated :

"The first of these is called Charles Lemay and he was deputy captain of the Eastern Surete du Quebec (SQ) emergency unit, whose main function is to suppress demonstrations and strikes. Lemay was in charge of a Company which has 3 platoons of about thirty police each and about fifteen investigators. His company was part of the Red Battalion, with the Montreal Company (Eastern Emergency Unit of the SQ), the Quebec City Police Service (SPVQ) and 5 troops of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP). The Red Battalion was the last bulwark of the State (before the army) to intervene in the event of mayhem in demonstrations. There were also Battalions of other colors: white, yellow, blue and green."

Poppy and British Legion Wanted