British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-07-16, 09:06 AM

Default Opinions please

Hello all, I am fairly new to badge collecting and would appreciate any opinions fellow collectors may have on some of mine, I have three here, the Parachute Regiment badge I am unsure of, is it a re-strike or copy ? and the other two are for identification if anyone can help.

Your help is appreciated.

Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040952.jpg (33.4 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg P1040953.jpg (30.8 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg P1040955.jpg (52.7 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg P1040954.jpg (46.0 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg P1040951.jpg (29.5 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg P1040950.jpg (27.8 KB, 40 views)
Old 05-07-16, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the Forum lugerlout. Your account is active and open for posts.
Old 05-07-16, 12:17 PM

The Para is a 1970s reproduction, I am sorry to say. Maker mark is main giveaway, 15mm .london.
Old 05-07-16, 01:32 PM

Not sure about the midle one except that the reamins of the fastening suggest a pin rather than lugs so possibly a 'sweetheart' brooch or other piece of jewellery rather than a cap badge or collar. The third looks distinctly un-British and I wonder if it may be related to one of the French North African colonial units or colonies - the crescent moon is a common theme in their badges.
Old 05-07-16, 01:39 PM

Hello and thanks for your comments gents, I appreciate you taking the time to look. I had a feeling the Parachute regiment badge was a copy Phil, your comment about the maker mark does stir something from memory now, Peter I did not make the connection regarding the crescent motif on the other badge but I will research that further, Once again thank you.

Phil
Old 05-07-16, 02:32 PM

The identification for the middle one is a Victorian Royal Military College (RMC) Sandhurst officer cadets' badge.

It looks a particularly nice one from your photograph with intact blue and red enamel. Could be some damage under the R in the cypher.

Like Peter said the fittings may indicate it was worn somewhere else other than headdress.
Mark
Old 06-07-16, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaiguy View Post
The identification for the middle one is a Victorian Royal Military College (RMC) Sandhurst officer cadets' badge.

It looks a particularly nice one from your photograph with intact blue and red enamel. Could be some damage under the R in the cypher.

Like Peter said the fittings may indicate it was worn somewhere else other than headdress.
Mark

Thanks, it is an interesting badge, as you spotted there is a bit of damage to the enamel at the bottom edge, there were two pins protruding from the back but one has broken off at some point, the intact pin is 10mm long which made me think it might have been fitted to a cap, two pins with some form of securing device would make it quite bulky to be worn as a brooch but you never know.

Thanks again for the info, another one for further research.

Phil
Old 06-07-16, 09:15 AM

It looks pretty evident to me that the original fixings on the RMC badge were loops. The one that remains is pinched closed and the other having snapped off has left the impression that clearly belonged to a loop fixing-in my humble opinion of course.

Regards to all

Ry
Old 06-07-16, 02:14 PM

That would make sense, Ry. I'm afraid my examination of the photo was too cursory to make that out.
Old 06-07-16, 04:00 PM

Thanks Charlie, I should have noticed that I suppose since I have the badge to hand, I should have looked closer, on inspection it seems you are spot on, appreciate you taking the time to look at the photos.

Phil
Old 06-07-16, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaiguy View Post

Mark
Mark, the motto of the RMC was "Vires Acquirit Eundo" (It Gains Strength By Continuance). The badge shown is the same pattern as the RMC badge but the motto is different.
Old 06-07-16, 07:07 PM

Nec Aspera Terrent = Difficulties be damned!
Is now the motto of the Duke of Lancaster's Regiment. The motto is that of the royal house of Hanover and is roughly translated as 'Difficulties be Damned'. It was conferred on the 8th (King's) Regiment by King George I in 1716.
It was also used by the RMC in the Victorian period.

Tim
Old 06-07-16, 07:22 PM

Smile

I'll get me coat!!.
Old 07-07-16, 03:52 AM

Hello Phil
may I show the third badge on a french forum, please ?
cordially
Didier
Old 12-07-16, 05:58 PM

Is the RMC badge not a Glengarry badge??

Dave