British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-03-09, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ Miller View Post
(sorry, Will, I don't have Harper's book, so I am not familiar with his list).
Remind me when I get back in the Fall and I will send you a PDF of Joe's book. I may re-print it - but as a hard cover and better resolution of the photos.
Clive
Old 25-03-09, 10:24 PM

Thanks Clive! I am sure the public library has a copy, next time I am downtown I will check it out.
Old 26-03-09, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

Default Post WW1 issue of GS badges

Just a quick note from Joe Harper's A Source of Pride:
Regarding badges for reorganized units, MO 204, 13 April 1921 was issued stating:
Maple Leaf Cap and Collar badges are available in Ordnance Stores and may be issued in the usual manner to all units of the Non-Permanent Active Militia as a temporary measure until such time as Badges and Crests, which have been submitted to Militia Headquarters have been approved of and issued.
Old 26-03-09, 10:40 PM

Default General List Badges

In JH Harper's book ("A Source of Pride") he shows five different types of General Service Maple Leaf badges. He does not include the Boar War era badge in his list.His A= #2, B= #6, C= #3, D= #5, E= #4

Last edited by LLWill; 26-03-09 at 11:01 PM. Reason: more inof
Old 07-08-14, 11:27 PM

Default For what it's worth . . .

Here is the General Service board of my CEF collection.

Some of the designs are clearly WWI, as indicated by the makers marks and dates on them. I'm sure we all have several of these.

In the enclosed photo, I number the styles as: Type 1 - seemingly the most common (I have a dozen of these as place holders for units like 9th Bn, 7th CMR, 247th Bn, 248th Bn, etc); Type 2 - a gilt, pin-back version similar to 1; Type 3 & Type 4 - better looking OR's variants of 1, different enough to merit a place in a collection; Type 5 (A and B) - yellow metal and dark metal versions of a different pattern; Type 6 - a probably officer's version, pickled; Type 7 - space left for other varieties; Type 8 - a style claimed by some to be for the Roy Cdn Nav Air Svc, but unlikely to be used only by them; Type 9 - the version used by Mazeas on the back of his 1920-52 book; and Type 10 (A & B), the yellow metal and dark metal versions of a different pattern.

How many of these are from the CEF? I don't know.

I have a QVC one from the Boer War, which rightly is in my QVC collection.

With my 1901-20, 1920-36, and 1936-52 collections, I have included one OR's and one Officer's General Service cap badge. In each case, I cannot be sure that I'm actually using something correct to that period. I have used a "Type 9" for my 1901-20 and 1936-52 collections, based on nothing more than liking the look of it. I have used a "Type 10" for my 1920-36 collection based on the colour of the yellow metal used in it being common in 20-36 badges, but unused in CEF badges.

I'd love to know more about the chronology of these badges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Collect - Mil - Can - 1914-8 Other 1 Gvt Issue.jpg (51.8 KB, 43 views)
Old 12-08-14, 08:04 PM

To confuse further, a KC maple leaf collar badge made by Scullys with a convex "Canada" banner was used by Cadet Services of Canada officers between 1924 and 1953. It was replaced with a much smaller and more recognizable/distinctive QC maple leaf collar badge.

Tags
general list varieties, maple leaf badges, mazeus error