British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-05-16, 10:48 AM

Default Scratch one off the 10 most wanted.

This Boer War badge has been number 4 on my 10 most wanted list compiled from Dave Corbett’s book “The Regimental Badges of New Zealand.”

The badge below is pictured in Corbett’s book, page 126, and the exact same badge is pictured in Oldham’s 2011 book on page 11 (No. 2/26)

The following is my latest acquisition that has come direct from the premier collection of Laurie Osborne.

Clearly my new badge is not the same as the one in Corbett’s book, but it is proportionately more in keeping with the hat badge that is being worn by George Klee seated on the left in the following photo.
Brothers Victor standing in the middle, and Louis seated on the right all served with the New Zealand 7th Contingent.

The following is a close up of the hat badge that is being worn by George Klee.

The following information is supplied by Lloyd Klee the Grandson of George Klee.

http://www.nzmr.org/phpBB3/viewtopic...633&hilit=klee

George Klee saw action in the Orange Free State and Transvaal, later becoming a member of the NZ Permanent Force, serving in the military most of his working life - Astoundingly he was again in service at the outbreak of not World War One but WWII in 1939. George would have retired aged 55 in 1934 but his political connections allowed him to continue until aged 60. Then with the outbreak of war his service was again required until his retirement due to medical grounds in December 1940. He was 62 and had served his country for 37 years.
Old 24-05-16, 08:10 PM

Hi Brent,

That's a great acquisition. Thanks for showing the pictures.

Regards, Tinto
Old 25-05-16, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinto View Post
Hi Brent,

That's a great acquisition. Thanks for showing the pictures.

Regards, Tinto
Thanks John, I have the usual generic NZ Boer War badges in my collection and this is my first “unofficial” acquisition, so am very pleased with it.

For those who are unfamiliar with these “unofficial” badges they are rare and period photographs of these badges being actually worn is extremely rare, and although the badge worn by George Klee is slightly distorted it is hard to deny my badge is a very good match to the one in the photograph, and very possibly as the old expression goes “they are one and the same.”

And for those who are interested in Uniforms and Badges worn by New Zealanders during the Boer war, the following blog may be of interest.

http://militarianz.freeforums.org/ne...ent-t1650.html

The following is another lovely rare NZ Boer War hat badge that was recently offered for sale from the premier collection of Laurie Osborne.
It depicts the Fern leaf, the Kiwi and what I believe is a Huia feather.

Old 25-05-16, 09:35 AM

Thanks for sharing the "unofficial" NZ badges from the Boer War, they are truly amazing and have more character than any I have seen before.

Well done on the pick up.

Dennis
Old 25-05-16, 10:02 AM

And another lovely rare NZ Boer War hat badge that was recently offered for sale from the premier collection of Laurie Osborne.
Oldham’s 2011 book on page 11 (No. 2/26)

Last edited by atillathenunns; 25-05-16 at 10:10 AM.
Old 26-05-16, 02:26 AM

The following is another lovely rare NZ Boer War hat badge that was recently offered for sale from the premier collection of Laurie Osborne.

Old 28-05-16, 10:10 AM

Having visited Laurie a few years ago ,In retrospect it was rather remiss of me not to take photo's of his New Zealand Boer war badges ,while the collection was still intact .

A few questions I have about Boer War ''unofficial' 'badges .

Were they worn ,other than the photography studio, or while not on active service ?.

Is there a comprehensive list ,or can we assemble one on this forum

I have never seen the back of these badges, what is the lug arrangement ?

Unfortunately I have none of these badges my collection ,but I have an interest in New Zealand's participation in the 2nd Anglo-Boer War .

Last edited by pukman; 29-05-16 at 12:35 AM.
Old 28-05-16, 07:35 PM

One on the files ,which I presume is a Boer War era badge
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NZMR boer war.jpg (19.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 28-05-16, 07:39 PM

And another.6th Contingent
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 234710539_full.jpg (52.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 29-05-16, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukman View Post
Having visited Laurie a few years ago ,In retrospect it was rather remiss of me not to take photo's of his New Zealand Boer war badges ,while the collection was still intact .

A few questions I have about Boer War ''unofficial' 'badges .

Were they worn ,other than the photography studio, or while not on active service ?.

Is there a comprehensive list ,or can we assemble one on this forum

I have never seen the back of these badges, what is the lug arrangement ?

Unfortunately I have none of these badges my collection ,but I have an interest in New Zealand's participation in the 2nd Anglo-Boer War .
Puk, when it comes to NZ Boer War badges, apart from what I have posted on the Militarianz forum, there are only a couple of paragraphs in our badge books that are of any help.

The following document from the director of the Wellington Dominion museum dated 11 January 1915 makes a comment that it was unfortunate that a collection of badges used in the South African war was not preserved for future generations.

In answer to your first question, it was common practice during the Boer war for New Zealand troops to remove all shiny metal insignia including buttons while operating out in the field, as such, given that most of the surviving badges are shiny brass, it is likely they were only worn when safely behind the lines.

The following photo shows men of the New Zealand Seventh Contingent in the field with two Boer prisoners, none appear to be wearing any badges.
The prisoner not wearing pants was captured wearing a New Zealand uniform, and was executed by firing squad shortly after this photograph was taken.

In answer to your second question, I know of no comprehensive lists, but do think we can assemble one on this forum, perhaps this thread is a good starting point?

In answer to your third question, from my own observations, there seems to be a common pattern to the type of lugs used and how they are fixed.

The badge in post #8 does not appeal to me, would really need to see more pictures.

The 6th Contingent badge in post #9 appears to be a nice shoulder title
Old 29-05-16, 04:23 AM

The following two 6th New Zealand Contingent shoulder titles came from the premier collection of Laurie Osborne.

Another 6th New Zealand Contingent shoulder title.

Old 29-05-16, 04:39 AM

Interestingly, George Klee post #1, is wearing a pair of 7th New Zealand shoulder titles, which are very similar to the shoulder title in Oldham’s 2011 book on page 11 (No. 2/24)
Note the dark cloth backing (Red?) under the shoulder titles.

This 6th New Zealand Contingent shoulder title still has its original cloth backing.

The following 7th New Zealand Contingent shoulder titles came from the premier collection of Laurie Osborne.

Last edited by atillathenunns; 09-06-16 at 08:17 AM.
Old 29-05-16, 06:34 PM

3rd and 4th Contingent Rough Riders.

There are other collectors who believe ,the theatre made Rough Riders badge with a lead filled back were worn by New Zealanders ..

Cast off a City of London Yeomanry (Rough Riders)collar badge.

I guess only positive photographic evidence of it being worn would be the only way to prove this ,but a number of these turn up in New Zealand .

David Corbett also has this pictured in the reference book '' The Regimental Badges of New Zealand''
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 146 (3).jpg (54.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Rough Riders A Fox.JPG (115.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Rough riders A Fox (2).jpg (46.2 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by pukman; 29-05-16 at 06:40 PM.
Old 30-05-16, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukman View Post
3rd and 4th Contingent Rough Riders.

There are other collectors who believe ,the theatre made Rough Riders badge with a lead filled back were worn by New Zealanders ..

Cast off a City of London Yeomanry (Rough Riders)collar badge.

I guess only positive photographic evidence of it being worn would be the only way to prove this ,but a number of these turn up in New Zealand .

David Corbett also has this pictured in the reference book '' The Regimental Badges of New Zealand''
Puk the NZ Rough Riders badge is a beauty, it is very similar to the one in Corbett’s but the “G” is different, the background suggests it is one of “Craigs/Omoko1” badges?

In regards to the London Yeomanry (Rough Riders) badge in Corbett’s book, it is IMO one of many mistakes made by Corbett.
I am sure that a New Zealander or two wore these badges when they served with the London Yeomanry, but there is no reason for members of the NZ Rough Riders to wear a British badge, it just doesn’t make sense, especially when all other NZ Boer War field made badges are made from sheet brass and usually contain the letters “N” & “Z”

The link in Post #3 shows photographic evidence of Trooper Augustus Porter, 3rd Contingent, (Rough Riders) 5th Company wearing Bugle collar badges, their side cap badges would have been a Bugle badge between the letters NZ.

The following badges were recently offered for sale from the premier collection of Laurie Osborne

The following shoulder titles were worn by the NZ Rough Riders.

NZ Rough Riders coin

Last edited by atillathenunns; 09-06-16 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-06-16, 08:22 AM

The following newspaper cutting is dated 4th May 1900, it shows Trooper Hugh Jowsey, who embarked with No. 5 company, Third Contingent, New Zealand Rough Riders aboard the Knight Templar on the 17th February 1900.
The picture titled “The neatest kit on the Knight Templar,” clearly shows the letters “NZRR” on the kit bag.

In this enlargement you can see the Bugle badge between the letters NZ.

The following picture is believed to be a member of the 5th New Zealand Contingent.

Last edited by atillathenunns; 09-06-16 at 08:39 AM.