British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-05-15, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstorey View Post
I am not sure the story of the unilingual CME cap badge is correct. My belief is that the badge and collars was initially produced in a unilingual format and then withdrawn from service. A redesigned bilingual format badge was the replacement; although not before a number of unilingual badges had been issued for wear.

The CME Kit Shop may well have been selling left-over stock from this initial run, but I do not think that the kit shop actually had the unilingual badges made.
I have the documentation from LAC. Would you like a copy?
Old 23-05-15, 02:35 PM

Default Documentation

Of course, how many pages are there?

ED
Old 23-05-15, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaydodger View Post
I have the documentation from LAC. Would you like a copy?
Yes please!

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 23-05-15, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hi Thomas, The Canadian Engineers badge is found in numerous variations. Probably over 30 different ones, but they all are similar in design. It was worn before during and after the First WW. The post 1920 militia badge was the Canadian Engineers design as per the pre and First WW type. The GVR and GVRI pattern badges were worn by the permanent force until 1936, when all components of the engineers (the permanent force and militia) wore the GVRI badge. After Elizabeth II's ascension to the throne the ER II pattern was adopted for regular and reserve components.
And, yes RCE officers did wear engineer collars on the CFSC.
Thanks Bill, was there also an Edward 8th badge?

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 23-05-15, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

No ER VIII RCE badge is known to have been authorized.
Old 24-05-15, 08:34 PM

Thanks Bill, are there any QVC crown badges?

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 27-05-15, 12:35 AM

Default CME Badges

From the documents that Bruce was kind enough to share.

According to a message dated 16 Feb 71, Commandant CFSME placed an order for a trial run of 12 sets of CME cap and collar badges with Pressed Metal Products in Vancouver. The Chief Engineer approved the trial badges in Ottawa in Feb 71 and allowed them to be worn. An additional order for 1500 collar badges was initiated with the CFB Chilliwack Base Fund providing the working capital. Future orders would be based on sales. CFSME SM would handle all the orders with cheques made out to the base fund, bulk orders from units were encouraged.

It was anticipated that the supply system would eventually supply insignia, but of a quality that would not match the badges ordered by CFSME. When the initial order was completed, CFB Chilliwack CANEX would take over the operation through mail order.

Additional cap badges were not ordered as the CF was still in the process of deciding if there would be one common cap badge for all of the armed forces. The message speculated that there would not be a common badge and once this was decided, cap badges would be ordered.

It was not long afterward that a CANFORGEN was issued by NDHQ stating that the badges were not approved for wear.

So from this documentation there were 12 trial cap badges with collars, I am speculating these are the unilingual version as well as the additional 1500 sets of the collars. This certainly explains why the collars used to show up more often then the cap badge. There were even CF belt buckles which used this collar badge and were still being used in the early 1980s.
Old 27-05-15, 12:58 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Thomas, There was no cap badge qvc for the Canadian Engineers. There are helmet plates for the Canadian Engineer Militia and select other Canadian Engineer companies. (Montreal and Charlottetown are listed in Mazeas.)
Old 27-05-15, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hi Thomas, There was no cap badge qvc for the Canadian Engineers. There are helmet plates for the Canadian Engineer Militia and select other Canadian Engineer companies. (Montreal and Charlottetown are listed in Mazeas.)
I have yet to find evidence of the Montreal Engineers helmet plate as shown in Mazeas.
Old 27-05-15, 06:01 PM

My cap badge is maker marked 'W.SCULLY' on the slider.

Rgds, Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstorey View Post
From the documents that Bruce was kind enough to share.

According to a message dated 16 Feb 71, Commandant CFSME placed an order for a trial run of 12 sets of CME cap and collar badges with Pressed Metal Products in Vancouver. The Chief Engineer approved the trial badges in Ottawa in Feb 71 and allowed them to be worn. An additional order for 1500 collar badges was initiated with the CFB Chilliwack Base Fund providing the working capital. Future orders would be based on sales. CFSME SM would handle all the orders with cheques made out to the base fund, bulk orders from units were encouraged.

It was anticipated that the supply system would eventually supply insignia, but of a quality that would not match the badges ordered by CFSME. When the initial order was completed, CFB Chilliwack CANEX would take over the operation through mail order.

Additional cap badges were not ordered as the CF was still in the process of deciding if there would be one common cap badge for all of the armed forces. The message speculated that there would not be a common badge and once this was decided, cap badges would be ordered.

It was not long afterward that a CANFORGEN was issued by NDHQ stating that the badges were not approved for wear.

So from this documentation there were 12 trial cap badges with collars, I am speculating these are the unilingual version as well as the additional 1500 sets of the collars. This certainly explains why the collars used to show up more often then the cap badge. There were even CF belt buckles which used this collar badge and were still being used in the early 1980s.
Old 11-08-15, 07:06 PM

Here http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=47673 is another unilingual badge set with the cap badge with an unmarked slider, which makes for at least three maker variations.

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 11-08-15, 10:58 PM

Hi Thomas, I believe mine is made by Pressed Metal Products out of Vancouver although it is unmarked as such.

greg
Old 05-01-17, 03:00 AM

A bit of an old thread but I 'm in with Ed. The cap badges and collars were made under DND contract by Scully but were recalled after they were made in English only. I had a set of english collars until recently, which were much harder to find. Amazingly, the English cap badges were made of thinner stock that the replacement bilingual badges were.
Old 05-01-17, 10:11 PM

Default Unilingual CME Badge

Coincidentally, I just scanned this example into my database the other day.

Canadian Military Engineers - unilingual - front.jpg
Old 06-01-17, 08:28 AM

I also have this badge and a bullion version complete with a cloth shoulder title.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 34 CANADIAN MILITARY ENGRS enamel#.jpg (63.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 27 CANADIAN MILITARY ENGRS.jpg (39.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 35 CANADIAN MILITARY ENGRS bullion#.jpg (77.0 KB, 21 views)

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)