British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-01-20, 01:24 PM

Default Cape Corps Eight Army Epaulette Slip on

A recent purchase: is an epaulette slip on badged to the Cape Corps, evidently attached to the Eight Army. What is quite interesting in this specific epaulette, otherwise quite similar to those posted in this thread: https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=42076
is the orange tab with the South Africa worsted in white cotton as in the tubular slip on tab portraited in https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=38914
Wondering what would the use of the "South Africa" writing on the orange tab, but still is there to see!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Epaulette_Cape_Corps_1.jpg (45.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Epaulette_Cape_Corps_2.jpg (75.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Epaulette_Cape_Corps_3.jpg (72.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Epaulette_Cape_Corps_4.jpg (74.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 11-01-20, 01:57 PM

Very nice, a good original epaulette, the CC title has simply been added at some point, I assume by it's original owner, remove the title, have a close look, has it been there for some time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by loupie1961 View Post
A recent purchase: is an epaulette slip on badged to the Cape Corps, evidently attached to the Eight Army. What is quite interesting in this specific epaulette, otherwise quite similar to those posted in this thread: https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=42076
is the orange tab with the South Africa worsted in white cotton as in the tubular slip on tab portraited in https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=38914
Wondering what would the use of the "South Africa" writing on the orange tab, but still is there to see!
Old 11-01-20, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Very nice, a good original epaulette, the CC title has simply been added at some point, I assume by it's original owner, remove the title, have a close look, has it been there for some time?
Hello Frank,

you may have a point, here. Main problem is that the Cape Corps brass title has one broken lug and at one end has been stitched to the slip on with some khaki thread. No split pin at the interior, for evident reasons. The title seems to have been there quite a long time, but God only know how long!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Epaulette_Cape_Corps_5.jpg (46.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Epaulette_Cape_Corps_6.jpg (67.2 KB, 12 views)
Old 11-01-20, 03:50 PM

I am often surprised at the anomalies one sees on the forum, questions raised, physical evidence, photographic evidence etc etc. Though NOT my field, the previous post reminds me of when conscripted into the RAF in 1959, I was of course thrown a bundle clothing and equipment along with a little roll of numbered tape (your service number) and told to get on with it! At my first “inspection” parade, I was screamed at by the W/O, “You’ve got the wrong badge on there Laddie” and told to go to the stores and purchase a correct one. On doing so, I was alerted to the fact that my hat badge should have had the “Queen’s” crown on it. The first “Camp photo” of me then shows me wearing an earlier “King’s” crown badge!. A right good scam the store “Wallah” had there at I think 1/6d a time! More than a small pack of “Weights” at that time! D.J. Incidentally, the same thing happened when I mustered into the R.A. In 1963, I’ve shown that badge to someone on the forum earlier, King’s crown, Lugs and a slider!. D.J.

Last edited by Artynut; 11-01-20 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Additional final sentence.
Old 12-01-20, 10:15 AM

Well, I certainly would have no issues with it, clearly all original and I would have said as worn by it's original owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loupie1961 View Post
Hello Frank,

you may have a point, here. Main problem is that the Cape Corps brass title has one broken lug and at one end has been stitched to the slip on with some khaki thread. No split pin at the interior, for evident reasons. The title seems to have been there quite a long time, but God only know how long!
Old 12-01-20, 01:07 PM

That's a really nice and unusual CC epaulette, very interesting.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 20-01-20, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
That's a really nice and unusual CC epaulette, very interesting.
Cheers,
Alex
Well, the interesting fact is that attests a quite widespread use of the South Africa title worsted on the Orange tab, possibly in formations not serving under SA command.