British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-02-21, 04:35 PM

Default Royal Yacht Shoulder Title Questions?

Hi all, There must be some former "Royal Yachtsmen" on here or people with an in-depth knowledge of Royal Yacht insignia?

I have a collection of Royal Yacht shoulder titles and wish to expand my knowledge of them, so here goes:

I know the blue on white titles were worn on the centre chest of the white front by naval ratings and on the shoulder of the tropical jumper, but was it also worn on the stone shirt by Royal Marines?

The Red on Navy Blue title. On what was it worn and by who?

Gold Bullion on Navy Blue title. I've seen it worn by Royal Marine Bandsmen on their blue's but was it worn by naval ratings with No 1's or did they only where the white on navy blue badges?

I've seen Royal Marine Bandsmen wearing Tropical stone or khaki drill dress, was there a Royal Yacht Shoulder title for this dress?

Did Royal Marine Commandos serve onboard the Royal Yacht as well as Royal Marine Bandsmen, did they where jumper order with lovats or lightweight trousers, what would they where on their jumpers?

There is the Gold on Green for the RM lovat tunic, but is there a Gold on Red title for RM Mess Dress? or small gold on navy blue for RN personnel?

Lastly, did Royal Navy Officers onboard wear any distinguishing insignia?

Regards

Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210220_143257.jpg (84.3 KB, 21 views)
Old 20-02-21, 05:36 PM

Tony

Can't answer your questions definitively but below is an extract from John Rawlinson's Personal Distinctions book in the RM Band section

The first distinctive shoulder badge was ‘RY’ in gilding metal and this was introduced in 1924. in 1926 an embroidered ‘RY’ red on blue appears in the clothing list. Both these titles were superseded in 1927 when a ‘badge, shoulder Royal Yacht’ was introduced (King's crown version of the Royal Yacht Title). In 1952 the imperial crown was replaced with the St Edward’s crown and the badge is found in large size for blue uniform and jersey wool heavy and in reduced size for Lovat and mess kit and on white for stone
shirts.
On the demise of HMY Britannia the ‘Royal Yacht’ title was replaced with ‘Royal Band’. Unlike the Royal Yacht flash, the Royal Band flash is worn by all officers, NCOs and other ranks including buglers.

I have attached a picture of the RY titles I have plus a picture of the gilding metal RY title. There was also a King's crown red on blue/black Royal Yacht title and a gold on red mess dress Royal Yacht title but I am still looking for versions of these.

Paddy
Old 20-02-21, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Tony

Can't answer your questions definitively but below is an extract from John Rawlinson's Personal Distinctions book in the RM Band section

The first distinctive shoulder badge was ‘RY’ in gilding metal and this was introduced in 1924. in 1926 an embroidered ‘RY’ red on blue appears in the clothing list. Both these titles were superseded in 1927 when a ‘badge, shoulder Royal Yacht’ was introduced (King's crown version of the Royal Yacht Title). In 1952 the imperial crown was replaced with the St Edward’s crown and the badge is found in large size for blue uniform and jersey wool heavy and in reduced size for Lovat and mess kit and on white for stone
shirts.
On the demise of HMY Britannia the ‘Royal Yacht’ title was replaced with ‘Royal Band’. Unlike the Royal Yacht flash, the Royal Band flash is worn by all officers, NCOs and other ranks including buglers.

I have attached a picture of the RY titles I have plus a picture of the gilding metal RY title. There was also a King's crown red on blue/black Royal Yacht title and a gold on red mess dress Royal Yacht title but I am still looking for versions of these.

Paddy
Cheers Paddy, that's great!