British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-09-11, 01:27 PM

Default "old" sub insignia

I can see why the old sub qualification badges of late 50's early 60's were abolished & replaced by the double dolphin insignia, they were not that appealing & I think referred to as a "sausage on a stick"????

Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sub badges RN.jpg (53.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 04-09-11, 01:58 PM

Bryan

These new badges have not replaced the double dolphin badges, they are to be worn below the dolphins. Extract from the RNTM below describes their exact positioning etc.

Paddy

WEARING OF THE PATROL PIN

12. The Royal Navy Deterrent Patrol Pin must always be worn in conjunction with the Submarine Badge (Dolphins) it is never to be worn on its own. Eligible personnel are authorised to wear the 62mm patrol pin with Blue Uniform, 1A, 1B & 1C and White Uniform 1AW, 1BW and 1CW. For Officers and Senior Rates the patrol pin is to be worn in the centre and at the top of the left breast pocket, positioned so that the top of the missile is just below the top of the pocket. For Junior Rates the Patrol Pin is to be worn 1cm below medals when wearing 1A/1B or 1AW/1BW with the “missile” element of the Patrol Pin positioned on the centre line of the Submarine Badge, when wearing 1C/1CW the Patrol Pin is to be worn 1cm below the medal ribbon. If no medals have been awarded, Junior Rates are to wear the Patrol Pin 2cm below and positioned on the centre line of the Submarine badge.

13. Officers and Senior Rates are authorised to wear the 62mm Patrol Pin with 2C and 3B Dress and Junior Rates may display this award with 2C and 3A and 3B, when doing so the Patrol Pin is to be worn at the top of the left breat pocket, positioned so that the top of the missile is just below the top of the pocket.

14. A miniature, 42mm, Patrol Pin may be worn with No 2 uniform (Mess Dress); it is to be worn 6mm below any miniature medal(s) or 6mm below the Submarine Badge positioned on the centre line of the submarine badge if no medals are worn. A miniature may also be worn on the tie when dressed in 3A uniform.

15. The Patrol Pin is not to be worn with No4 uniform.
Old 04-09-11, 02:26 PM

Thanks Paddy! I understand the concept now.

Bryan
Old 11-09-11, 10:26 PM

Default Deterrent badges

Hello,
I am a US submariner, and have been looking for these UK badges, will anyone be willing to get me a set of the four? Thanks to all
Old 28-02-21, 09:58 AM

The criteria for the badge has changed and now issued in three grades pewter, silver, gold.

I would like to obtain an example of the silver grade if anyone has an example please.

Thank you, Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (55.2 KB, 14 views)