British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-03-16, 11:00 AM

Bryan, I have not yet seen another pattern of the 36-52 badge but that does not mean there is not one out there! There are no known examples of a QC badge.
Ron.
Old 26-03-16, 11:29 AM

Perfect answer Ron

Thanks
Old 27-03-16, 08:43 AM

Whilst talking about the SNCO badge another point I was curious about was the use of the bi-metal badge across all the battalions from the creation of the Territorial Force in 1908. The 1st Btn had the "42" and the 2nd the "Jimmy" but did the other battalions not follow in the tradition of using a bi-metal badge for SNCOs? I have seen, or at least purported to be, bi-metal BW style Cyclist SNCO badges. However, I have seen very few "Jimmy" type bi-metal badges (this is the badge you would think the other battalions would use) other than those that are clearly officer. Of course probably the majority of "42" bi-metals are pre-TF (QVC) so I may be killing my argument.
As an aside would there have been more officers than SNCOs in the regiment anyway? And if they were private purchase only (?) would SNCOs, especially in wartime when the glengarry was not worn, have had the funds, or inclination, to buy one, hence their rarity?
Sorry, one more point, would recruiters (generally SNCOs), have tended to come from the regular battalions even in the war years, so they as long serving, tradition based soldiers would part with cash to have a prestigious badge that they could use on a daily basis?
Sorry, a lot of points in one post. But in conclusion is there any evidence to support the use of a bi-metal SNCO badge in the non-regular BW battalions?

Bryan
Old 27-03-16, 09:28 AM

Thought I had better clarify my choice of words about the glengarry not worn in wartime., which is of course wrong. What I meant to say is that on active service the BW badge may not have been worn all the time in WW1 (hackle, etc) and Ron has mentioned WW11.

Bryan
Old 27-03-16, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advsmt View Post
Thought I had better clarify my choice of words about the glengarry not worn in wartime., which is of course wrong. What I meant to say is that on active service the BW badge may not have been worn all the time in WW1 (hackle, etc) and Ron has mentioned WW11.

Bryan
Bryan, the glengarry was worn on parades and walking out.
I believe that TF Bns and the service Bns wore bi-metal SNCO badges with St. Andrew. You have to remember that many Sgts in these battalions were ex regulars especially the Sgt instructors.
Ron.
Old 27-03-16, 02:27 PM

Thanks Ron, can always rely on you to know the answers. Just need to find a good example.

Thanks

Bryan
Old 28-03-16, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarsden View Post
Bryan, the glengarry was worn on parades and walking out.
I believe that TF Bns and the service Bns wore bi-metal SNCO badges with St. Andrew. You have to remember that many Sgts in these battalions were ex regulars especially the Sgt instructors.
Ron.
Bryan, photo of T/6/RH Sgt wearing bi-metal badge.
Ron.
Old 28-03-16, 12:06 PM

Great photo Ron. Just to clarify in my own mind! In your other current thread you show a 2nd Btn SNCO badge, voided with the green insert. Did this voided SNCO badge carry on through to WW1 and end in WW2 like the "42"? And the TF and Service Btn's exclusively used an un-voided bi-metal badge? I realise I might be asking for your opinion rather than a known fact.

Thanks for your patience Ron!

Bryan

Last edited by Advsmt; 28-03-16 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Wrong battalion
Old 28-03-16, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advsmt View Post
Great photo Ron. Just to clarify in my own mind! In your other current thread you show a 2nd Btn SNCO badge, voided with the green insert. Did this voided SNCO badge carry on through to WW1 and end in WW2 like the "42"? And the TF and Service Btn's exclusively used an un-voided bi-metal badge? I realise I might be asking for your opinion rather than a known fact.

Thanks for your patience Ron!

Bryan
Bryan, the 2nd Bn voided badges carried on in a KC version up untill WW1, I have two examples to post later. I have not seen photographic evidence of TF or service use.
Ron.
Old 03-04-16, 08:06 AM

Ladies ball gown waist belt clasp, 1st Bn India 1890s.
Gilt brass buckle floriate design pierced and chased, mounted with four 42nd buttons by Jennens & Co London with POW feathers. Buttons have been pressed down to a flatter profile. The whole buckle is laquered the area around the numerals now toning brown.

Old 09-04-16, 10:03 AM

Another 42nd question. In Bloomer, Badges of the Highland & Lowland Regiments there is a 73rd Regiment of Foot O/Rs Bell top shako plate pre-1862. Not sure if this is the correct headdress? K&K has this type of badge under Albert shako. But my main question is would the 42nd have had this badge/headgear, of just feather bonnet? So the 73rd even though it joined with the 42nd was really a lowland regiment?
Sorry that was really 3 questions!

Bryan
Old 09-04-16, 01:28 PM

Bryan, the badge shown in Bloomer is for the Albert Shako 1844-55.
The 42nd wore the feather bonnet during this period.
The 73rd at the time the Battalions were linked together was essentially an English line regiment.
Ron.
Old 12-04-16, 08:25 AM

Late Victorian band Sgts plaid brooch. Silver plated quoit of 80mm diameter, applied numerals on a twisted torse.

Old 14-04-16, 02:38 PM

Duty belt and buckle worn by the Officer of the Day.
Rectangular brass plate mounted with silver numerals.
Old 03-05-16, 10:07 AM

42nd Officer's waist belt clasp c. 1840.
Rectangular copper plate with bevelled edges. Two silver mounts being the Crown over "42" complete with D section loop. Kirkwoods stamp and thistle logo to the reverse.