British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-10-14, 10:17 AM

Smile 3rd West Yorkshire Militia HMSS pouch badge set

Hi all,

The latest addition to the collection from my week in the UK.

Oak-framed collection of 3rd West Yorkshire Militia hall marked sterling silver pouch badges (date letter marked K for 1859-60 by C.R & Co, Birmingham) with ten silver buttons for the double breasted tunic and two smaller silver buttons for the chin strap of the helmet. The buttons are described in Ripley's book as 3rd West Yorkshire Light Infantry Militia, silver (see later for alternate title). Am I correct is assuming this is an Officer's set ?

I have not been able to trace a full makers name for this silversmith as yet.

I understand that the rose was worn to the front and the horn and small rose were the pouch decorations. The slider and belt tip were from the ends of the belt. The two hinged hangers were where the belt was attached to the pouch.

The hinged hangers are hallmarked as is the pouch badge (opening of the hunting horn) and the belt slider.

The 3rd West York Militia were absorbed in to the York and Lancaster Regiment, to become the 3rd (Special Reserve) Battalion based at Pontefract barracks.

The 3rd West York Militia was also otherwise known as the First Regiment of Militia and 3rd West York Light Infantry, prior to it’s becoming part of the York & Lancaster Regiment.

There are a number of photographs of pouches with badges for the West York Rifle Volunteers in Dixon Pickup's book that have provided me with something of a guide as to how these badges were in situ.

Enjoy, regards Dean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6510.jpg (35.0 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6512.jpg (47.9 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6511.jpg (49.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6525.jpg (72.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6515.jpg (15.2 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by mooke07; 02-10-14 at 11:39 AM.

Tags
3rd west yorkshire, militia