British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-06-22, 10:13 PM

Default Photographing Badges with a Light Box

Hello,

I am seeking advice from those with the skills in photography.

I need to record my collection and the photos need to be suitable for reproducing in a book or catalogue and therefore no shadows and even lighting all over.

I have experimented in the past with tents and various types of flash but nothing really worked.

I see that there are now these shadow free light boxes such as this Light Tec one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Light-Tec-P.../dp/B072JXMGS9

Has anyone used one of these, what are the results like and just as importantly would a Helmet Plate fit?

Any help gratefully received.

thanks

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 26-06-22, 03:48 AM

Hi Simon,
I have generally just used my flat bed scanner to take pics of badges. get a pretty good picture of the badge and if you need than use editing software to remove the background. Its probably not the best for publishing in a book, but good enough for me.

Steven
Old 26-06-22, 04:03 AM

Simon,

I can't speak to the specific light box in your link but I think in general a light box is right up there to give the best results. Certainly the photos for my book were all done that way (albeit with a professional photographer behind the lens, not me!)

I've tried other ways and always end up with some shadow and hence lots of photoshop editing..

If there are other ways that give great results I would be all ears too.

Michael
Old 26-06-22, 09:46 AM

Thanks lads

Old 26-06-22, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
Hello,

I am seeking advice from those with the skills in photography.

I need to record my collection and the photos need to be suitable for reproducing in a book or catalogue and therefore no shadows and even lighting all over.

I have experimented in the past with tents and various types of flash but nothing really worked.

I see that there are now these shadow free light boxes such as this Light Tec one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Light-Tec-P.../dp/B072JXMGS9

Has anyone used one of these, what are the results like and just as importantly would a Helmet Plate fit?

Any help gratefully received.

thanks

I have a similar problem, and while acknowledging scanners are OK for cloth, they are (in my limited experience) not up to standard for badges that are not completely flat - lugged, sliders to reverse etc.

Another major part of the equation is the form of camera. After numerous enquiries to those whose badge images I admire (may are contributors to this forum) - there is a confusing mix of digital cameras and mobile telephone recommendations.

I also have to find a background removal package I am totally happy with. I have not experimented much, but am told a background that completely contrasts with the badge is best to apply a removal package to. Someone suggested garish shades of green - that really contrast with the end result you are seeking with background removed.

I am a complete novice with photography, so will follow this thread with interest. One thought is the suggested light box appears a little over the top, but one appears necessary in most recommendations - but possibly cheaper. Of course I do not know how big the improvements may be with upgraded equipment - sometimes it could be relatively marginal perhaps - but a light box appears a must for consistency, although many people I have corresponded with say you simply can not beat natural light ...

Hoping this is helpful, and that we (the forum) can arrive at an optimal recommended system.

Mike
Old 26-06-22, 11:07 AM

Simon,

I use a good digital camera to photograph badges. If you have a copy of any of my books you will see the results. Perhaps not as good as a light box but good enough. After photographing I clean them up using "photoshop".

I take the photos in daylight, no sun, on a white background, usually on a foam board into which the lugs sink easily. I had to lie down after seeing the price of light boxes!!

Dave.
Old 26-06-22, 11:41 AM

I know a few dealers have made their own light boxes, Geoff Newman and Philip Heeks if I recall. Whilst they may be a bit Blue Peter they work and in my opinion their photos come out well at what will be a fraction of the cost.
Old 29-06-22, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altcar73 View Post
Simon,

I use a good digital camera to photograph badges. If you have a copy of any of my books you will see the results. Perhaps not as good as a light box but good enough. After photographing I clean them up using "photoshop".

I take the photos in daylight, no sun, on a white background, usually on a foam board into which the lugs sink easily. I had to lie down after seeing the price of light boxes!!

Dave.
Having just received a copy of Dave's book on Special Constabulary Insignia, i think the images are high quality - all in all, a very nice, useful, reference work, no doubt definitive in its field.
Old 29-06-22, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Simon,

Dave.
Dave,

If I could achieve the quality of the badges in your books I would be well chuffed. I do use a good digital SLR and have a quality macro lens, tripod, a variety of separate flashes, but always get shadow and glare.

I will try the foam board outdoors method and see if I can improve.

regards

Old 29-06-22, 06:05 PM

Simon,

Keep at it and you will get the knack. Some badges are more difficult than others. I've found that using a flash causes more problems. Take them outside in a good light, but not in the sun. Stand the foam board up and lean it against something, that way you will avoid shadow.

Dave.
Old 29-06-22, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Simon,

Keep at it and you will get the knack. Some badges are more difficult than others. I've found that using a flash causes more problems. Take them outside in a good light, but not in the sun. Stand the foam board up and lean it against something, that way you will avoid shadow.

Dave.
Will do Dave, thanks