British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-06-22, 03:25 PM

Default 5th Bn. The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)

Would a Forum member kindly describe for me which insignia an officer in 5th Bn. The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) would have worn in France 1915/15. I am interested in the cap and collars. The type of metal etc.

Kind regards, Malcolm.
Old 23-06-22, 12:01 AM

The same as the regular battalions. For officers, a silver (or silvered) standard pattern Cameronians cap badge along with standard blackened bugle and mullet collar badges.
A simple search on Google images will illustrate these if you are not familiar with them.

CB
Old 23-06-22, 07:16 AM

CB.

Many thanks for clarifying this.

I was confused as online I had seen a Scottish Rifles badge with the addition of the numeral “5”. The caption stated 5th Battalion.

I would also like to ask if the blackened collar badges have been made in silver for officers?

Kind regards, Malcolm.
Old 23-06-22, 11:07 AM

5th VB had the 5 numeral, but it was short lived and not the same as the 5th war raised battalion.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 23-06-22, 12:31 PM

A photo I have seen showing officers of the 5th during the war all with blackened collar badges. It is not possible to see the cap badges close up, but I am quite sure they were likely the regular pattern without the 5.

CB
Old 23-06-22, 12:32 PM

Geoff Newman has a sold one for reference on his site: Item No. 23082

EDIT: Apologies, I missed it was a request for an officer's badge.
Old 23-06-22, 02:00 PM

Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge with me. Greatly appreciated.

Kind regards, Malcolm.
Old 23-06-22, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
5th VB had the 5 numeral, but it was short lived and not the same as the 5th war raised battalion.
Cheers,
Alex
Are you sure?

5th Volunteer Battalion, The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) existed 1887-1897. I do not think it used the badge with the extra 5.

As far as I know, the badge with the extra 5 was worn by 5th Battalion, The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) (TF) (1908-1921)

I assume they stopped using it with the merger in 1921 into 5th/8th Battalion, The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) (TA).. From 1938 5th/8th Battalion, The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) (56th Searchlight Regiment) (TA)

I also assume it was not taken into use again when the 5th/8th split in 1939 and the 5th became 5th Battalion, The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) (56th Searchlight Regiment) (TA). Already in 1940 it became 56th Searchlight Regiment, Royal Artillery (Cameronians) and in 1942 125th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment, Royal Artillery (Cameronians).

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 23-06-22, 08:47 PM

The few photos of officers during the war show what appear to be the standard cap badge, the 5th having a different design. I am sure some must have had the unique 5th, but as usual in the war, the standard one was worn in lieu of that. Additionally, collar badges were not always worn, with some having them and others not.

CB
Old 23-06-22, 09:24 PM

Here is a pair of blackened metal collar badges.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 28F85946-B156-488F-91DA-EC18C58EE1C8.jpeg (78.1 KB, 17 views)
Old 23-06-22, 09:59 PM

Would anyone know if officers blackened collar badges were made made from silver as per the cap badge or from bronze as other service dress collars.

Kind regards, Malcolm.
Old 23-06-22, 11:45 PM

They were blackened bronze.

CB
Old 24-06-22, 06:28 AM

CB.

Many thanks.

Kind regards, Malcolm.
Old 24-06-22, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmr-RHB View Post
Are you sure?

5th Volunteer Battalion, The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) existed 1887-1897. I do not think it used the badge with the extra 5.

As far as I know, the badge with the extra 5 was worn by 5th Battalion, The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) (TF) (1908-1921)

I assume they stopped using it with the merger in 1921 into 5th/8th Battalion, The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) (TA).. From 1938 5th/8th Battalion, The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) (56th Searchlight Regiment) (TA)

I also assume it was not taken into use again when the 5th/8th split in 1939 and the 5th became 5th Battalion, The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) (56th Searchlight Regiment) (TA). Already in 1940 it became 56th Searchlight Regiment, Royal Artillery (Cameronians) and in 1942 125th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment, Royal Artillery (Cameronians).
This prompts me to ask if anyone can tell me details of the SWB issued to this guy: 6483 James C Cuthill 5th Scottish Rifles

I have an idea that his SWB was issued for sickness rather than wounds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jcc.JPG (104.1 KB, 11 views)
Old 24-06-22, 04:20 PM

Don't know if this is any use to you, Captain Arthur Henry Laing, I thought I had his mic on one of my old hard disks but couldn't find it, wounded six times.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _20220624_170407.jpg (35.9 KB, 27 views)