British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-06-22, 01:15 PM

Default BAOR 1989

Good Afternoon,

Though I have perused this board before as a guest and member, this is my first post. I am the author/editor of the following document:

https://www.orbat85.nl/documents/BAOR-July-1989.pdf

It is currently on version 8.5, I am diligently working on an updated version after receiving a dump of documents from Kew and FOI requests. As you can see I have added formation insignia. I would like to add more, especially any insignia worn by the "Services" (RCT, RAOC, etc) on uniform or used on vehicles/signs in 1989. If anyone can be of help I will gladly acknowledge your contribution. Just to add I am also looking for any un-official insignia .....for instance I will be adding this for the Queen's Own Hussars entry in the next version:

Besides the normal Regimental and Squadron tactical insignia, D Sqn’s vehicles were also adorned with an unique squadron insignia, a silhouette of a black pig. When D Sqn was formed at Detmold in 1978 there was a celebration to mark the occasion. During these festivities a certain Trooper named Gould was able to acquire (some say purloined) a large black piggy bank from a local savings bank. It was then sawn in half and mounted behind the bar in Hobart Barracks. “The Black Pig” has subsequently adorned every vehicle, item of clothing, and memento in the squadron thereafter. This also includes a tradition of squadron tattoos where the Black Pig was tattooed just below the shoulder on the right upper back.
The aforementioned Trooper Gould subsequently became Sgt Gould and was the CHALLENGER driving conversion instructor for the whole Regiment.
[The story was related by Simon Dunstan in his Osprey Challenger 1 book, see the bibliography. It has been confirmed and more detail added by former members of the Squadron]
Old 19-06-22, 02:49 PM

Impressive work! I am not able to help, but find it a valuable piece of information.

Terry
Old 19-06-22, 08:51 PM

I arrived at Hobart barracks Detmold as a trooper in 1983 but never heard of this story as we took over from the Queens own Hussars, we being the 4th/7th Royal Dragoon Guards,
However an amusing story
Regards
Stephen
Old 29-07-22, 03:20 PM

Default Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkstone View Post
I arrived at Hobart barracks Detmold as a trooper in 1983 but never heard of this story as we took over from the Queens own Hussars, we being the 4th/7th Royal Dragoon Guards,
However an amusing story
Regards
Stephen
Hi Stephen

I was in A Sqn LAD 1985-89, I’m sure our paths would of crossed, so Hi!
Regards
Ian (Iggy)
Old 29-07-22, 07:46 PM

A very impressive piece of collation work. I was in BAOR 1972-1976 and 1978-1984 and back then the ORBAT was constantly evolving and changing.

Tim
Old 29-07-22, 08:10 PM

Hi there ,

See attached link , all you need to know about the D Sqn Black pig

https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/2d...-the-black-pig

Regards

3748 Hussar. (Ex QOH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roudsman1907 View Post
Good Afternoon,

Though I have perused this board before as a guest and member, this is my first post. I am the author/editor of the following document:

https://www.orbat85.nl/documents/BAOR-July-1989.pdf

It is currently on version 8.5, I am diligently working on an updated version after receiving a dump of documents from Kew and FOI requests. As you can see I have added formation insignia. I would like to add more, especially any insignia worn by the "Services" (RCT, RAOC, etc) on uniform or used on vehicles/signs in 1989. If anyone can be of help I will gladly acknowledge your contribution. Just to add I am also looking for any un-official insignia .....for instance I will be adding this for the Queen's Own Hussars entry in the next version:

Besides the normal Regimental and Squadron tactical insignia, D Sqn’s vehicles were also adorned with an unique squadron insignia, a silhouette of a black pig. When D Sqn was formed at Detmold in 1978 there was a celebration to mark the occasion. During these festivities a certain Trooper named Gould was able to acquire (some say purloined) a large black piggy bank from a local savings bank. It was then sawn in half and mounted behind the bar in Hobart Barracks. “The Black Pig” has subsequently adorned every vehicle, item of clothing, and memento in the squadron thereafter. This also includes a tradition of squadron tattoos where the Black Pig was tattooed just below the shoulder on the right upper back.
The aforementioned Trooper Gould subsequently became Sgt Gould and was the CHALLENGER driving conversion instructor for the whole Regiment.
[The story was related by Simon Dunstan in his Osprey Challenger 1 book, see the bibliography. It has been confirmed and more detail added by former members of the Squadron]