British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-06-22, 03:27 PM

Smile Monty and the New Zealanders

Just read this anecdote in a 4GR Officers Association Journal (1983) which I thought might amuse : "When Montgomery took command of the Eighth Army he remarked to New Zealand's General "Tiny" Freberg that the New Zealand troops did not seem to salute much. "If you wave to them" Freberg replied diffidently "they'll wave back"

I would love to think its a true story and not just apocryphal
Old 18-06-22, 10:37 PM

Hi Tim,

Extract from "General Lord Freyberg VC" by Peter Singleton-Gates, page 238:
"General Sir Oliver Leese has since told the (true) story that on an early occasion in the Desert when Montgomery was with Freyberg a party of weary New Zealanders passed them, with no seeming sign of recognition. 'Don't your fellows salute any more?' queried the Commander of the Eighth Army. 'Oh, they're all right,' was Freyberg's answer. 'If you just wave to them they'll wave back.'"

Regards, John
Old 19-06-22, 01:42 AM

Another "Tiny" Freyberg story:

When there was a sudden bombardment or air attack, everyone dived for the slit trenches...

The last man found there was no room in any of the trenches (rumour has it that they were mostly filled with "red tabs"...).

Taking refuge under a nearby tree, he found he was standing next to "Tiny" who merely remarked "Been rather wet lately, hasn't it?" or words to that effect.

I think that the scene was possibly Crete or the retreat from Greece but I may stand corrected.
Old 19-06-22, 09:43 AM

Hi John - good to hear it's a true story - I like these anecdotes that are rarely included in dry regimental histories - but tell you so much more about the individuals involved