British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-06-22, 02:15 PM

Default Honorary Chaplain to the King larger silver brooch

Hi all,

I recently acquired this KGVI Honorary Chaplain to the King brooch made in silver. it is hallmarked 1947/Birmingham but I am unable to make out the maker mark.

It is of the larger type.

It is my understanding they were made in various metals; any comments appreciated. Whether this would be worn officially or for civilian use I do not know.

If, by some miracle, somebody recognises the makers mark that would be a huge bonus.

Regards,

Graham
Old 20-06-22, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasaraftype View Post
Hi all,

I recently acquired this KGVI Honorary Chaplain to the King brooch made in silver. it is hallmarked 1947/Birmingham but I am unable to make out the maker mark.

It is of the larger type.

It is my understanding they were made in various metals; any comments appreciated. Whether this would be worn officially or for civilian use I do not know.

If, by some miracle, somebody recognises the makers mark that would be a huge bonus.

Regards,

Graham
Hard to make out, as you say.

Failing any positive ID via the forum, you could always have a trawl through these:

https://www.silvercollection.it/engl...ermarksXC.html
Old 21-06-22, 12:25 AM

Hi

Just had a quick look and although the maker's mark is a bit hard to identify, you could try Elkington & Co.

That curious "binocular" style mark seems familiar...
Old 21-06-22, 03:38 PM

An Honorary Chaplain to the Queen (QHC) is a member of the clergy within the United Kingdom who, through long and distinguished service, is appointed to minister to the monarch of the United Kingdom.

When George VI reigned, Honorary Chaplains were known as Honorary Chaplains to the King (KHC).

As of 2008 there were 33 appointees. They are also known as Honorary Chaplains to the Sovereign.

Honorary Chaplains wear a scarlet cassock and a special bronze badge consisting of the royal cypher and crown within an oval wreath. The badge is worn below medal ribbons or miniature medals during the conduct of religious services on the left side of the scarf by chaplains who wear the scarf and on academic or ordinary clerical dress by other chaplains.

Ten ministers of the Church of Scotland are appointed as Chaplains to the Queen in Scotland

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 29-06-22, 11:58 AM

Default Honorary Chaplain to the King silver brooch

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

I had a thorough look at the silver makers marks for Birmingham and I think there is a good possibility it was made by Elkington & Co. The date window is good for 1947. The markers mark on the brooch is obscure but is very similar to the design shown for this period.

Also, I do not know if it would be relevant, but they did have the Kings Royal warrant during this period.

Regards,

Graham