British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Military Book and Media Reviews

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-02-22, 04:23 PM

Thanks very much Andy. It looks to be a well illustrated volume from the sample pages I can see. The images for the division/corps insignia seem to have been taken from the popular cigarette cards of that time, but otherwise I can't comment on the information contained within as I am not qualified on such matters. I would welcome a review from someone who has a copy and 'knows their stuff'. Thanks again.
Old 08-02-22, 09:35 AM

Morning Richard
I have only been to the last two Thetford's as a customer shame the coffee shop is shut and with masks it's easy to miss people.
On the subject of books it's rare for a collector to have the mindset to write one and I remember Julian ( KLR) saying most collectors don't know much about their collections I think he is probably correct we tend to research after we have found something. Which tends to leave the majority of books to be written by people who collect information it leads to some strange statements one of the best I have seen related to a friend who was said to be horseman to a Francis gleed pretty good going as gleed died before 1800 which on my reconning makes Ray about 250
Old 09-02-22, 10:55 AM

Having just read this thread, I 100% agree that the author has unfortunately made a mistake and is showing a post 1935 Royal Norfolk Regt badge on the cover of the book. As noted, I suspect he meant to show the Britannia on a plinth Norfolk Regt badge as worn by officers, which can be found in OSD bronze or gilt.

Paul
Old 09-02-22, 10:29 PM

Hello Neil, Good to hear from you. Sorry to have missed you then, clearly it is easy to walk past someone with a mask and not clock who it was. Hopefully next time we'll 'bump' into each other. All the best.

Paul. Thanks for your feedback. I'm sure the author will be kicking himself because he probably spent a long time and a lot of effort putting the book together. I guess with a mass of information at one's disposal it's easy to overlook, forget or miss a detail. Thanks again.
Old 04-04-22, 08:31 PM

If it is the wrong badge - Mea Culpa but the rest of the book is 30+ years of work. It is the best on the market. It might not be perfect and I will accept there could be errors - the more I know the better the book will be. Anyone got any Terriers badges and photos they would like to share.
Dave Bilton
Old 06-04-22, 02:35 PM

I’ve picked up a copy via Kindle and must admit that I have really enjoyed reading this book.

It’s filled in some gaps in my knowledge regarding various battalions and where they fought during WW1, and the focus upon non-metal badges has improved my previously non-existent knowledge in this area significantly.

For £7 it is excellent value and is definitely well worth a read.
Old 08-04-22, 07:11 AM

Default David Bilton

I’ve not read a copy but does it cover the 12th NY battalion?
Old 08-04-22, 11:51 AM

Do you mean the 12th (Norfolk Yeomanry) Battalion, Norfolk Regiment?

If so, then it doesn’t. It covers 1st to 3rd Bn and the earlier book on Kitchener’s army covers the 6th to 9th service battalions.