British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-07-09, 11:08 AM

I cant tell the diffrence any way, all the badges I have all look good to me, I now know the 2 with gaunt with a dot are restrikes, and am beginning to think a few of the others are as well (my Welch im 99.99% certain are real) have bought a few books to help me, the best one I think is "Regimental Badges 2nd Edition Major T.J.Edwards" but is there a book that has the pictures in colour as opposed to black and white sketch's.
After looking at a few of your albums Im starting to wonder if it is best to concentrate on one regiment, would have to be the Welch, 41st's is a stunning collection, or just pile em all together in one big collection, haven't made my mind up yet, bit house bound at the moment so no rush.
In Ross-On-Wye in the centre there is a old building, (I was there last summer) that had something to do with the market a long time ago, its now a kind of a agricultural museum, well in there they have a very large collection of regimental cap badges, all set in one big frame, it was given to the museum, they were told it was made up of all the cap badges of the regiments who were based in the area in WW2, but there was a 16th Battn Welch in amongst the badges! It was on seeing this collection that I decided to start collecting.
Old 29-09-10, 08:23 PM

Hi. I served in the 8th Hussars (1951-1957). I would to see scan of your 8th Hussars album. Thank you.
JAMES
Old 29-03-11, 06:46 PM

Hi! sorry to trouble you (new member) as you collect purely welsh badges I have aquired 3rd battalion the Monmouthshire regiment? 1st & 2nd I have, but this badge has a lovely patina front and rear, looks pukka! however but can,t find in any of the books I have! I also wonder was there ever a 2nd battallion badge with a scroll? cheers billy
Old 02-05-17, 04:13 PM

Some very interesting items being shown in recent albums but in a number of cases there is no explanation of what is being shown.

Even a brief description would make the albums more interesting and add to the collective knowledge of the Forum.
Thanks

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 06-05-18, 12:31 AM

Default Irish Guards

Feel free to ask me anything about my Irish Guards collection! I’m a one-Regiment collector.
Kind regards,
Sean
Old 30-08-21, 04:40 AM

Default Another Album question

Recently I greatly enjoyed going through every one of the incredible Albums and found badges that I did not know existed.
In 10 years with the Forum I have never attempted to post an album of my own and it is not at all clear to me how to do it. A few questions:
1. How do I post a set of badges in chronological order? (i.e. will the first badge posted be listed last when I have finished or do I need to number the badges from A1 to A50?
3. Is it easy, for example, to add another badge in the middle somewhere without deleting one?
Thanks
Old 30-08-21, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsley View Post
A few questions:
1. How do I post a set of badges in chronological order? (i.e. will the first badge posted be listed last when I have finished or do I need to number the badges from A1 to A50?
3. Is it easy, for example, to add another badge in the middle somewhere without deleting one?
Thanks
From my own experience :

The first photo you post will be the last one in the album , it doesn't matter what number/name you call it.

So , if you want photos to appear from earliest date to latest date you have to upload them in 'reverse order'.

If you want to add a badge anywhere (eg in the middle) in an album you have to delete all the photos up to that point , upload the new badge and then reupload the photos you just deleted.

It is easier to make 2 or 3 small albums (20 photos) than 1 large one , then if you have to edit something it is less hassle .

Others may know a better/easier way (which I would like to know ).

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 30-08-21, 09:32 AM

Thanks, Mike, for the answers. Forgot my third question:
can I type a caption under each badge during the posting process or does the caption have to be already in the badge scan? I have a huge badge file but not one image has a description already written below.
Old 30-08-21, 10:11 AM

You can post badges with whatever title you want , then later click on the photo and "edit picture" this opens a dialog box where you can add/edit details about the badge. (remember to "save changes" ! )

If at a later date you find more information you can repeat the process .

I normally put basic 'title' first , for example :

Badge , manufacturer , date/time period (KC/QC) this will show when someone places their cursor on the photo.

Then I add a more detailed description which can be seen when photo is clicked on.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 31-08-21, 06:30 AM

Thanks, will see what I can do
Old 31-08-21, 10:13 AM

I have a catalogue of my badges. Here's the first five of 50 odd variations of this type - which has which die, maker, date etc, description, metals, fixtures, dimensions, weight, alternatations etc, and finally an "accession number" - eg <37> and kept in individual bags.
(full details etc comes from my years in a museum.)

I just realised that I cannot insert the symbols for the shape of the 'tabs' - linking the two pieces of metal - eg horse and scroll

Pattern 4362A/1896, OR cap badge. Authorised 7th January 1896, - obsolete 21st December 1926

1896/Fm/D1 -The White Horse of Hanover rearing l on a ground, in WM. Below, a humped scroll inscribed THE ‟KINGS” in Roman letters, in GM, hind legs voided. Die struck in two piecesI., 2 cu NS loops 8. ?solder on tabs H 39, W 41, Wt 6.65g. <37>
1896/Fm/D1- The White Horse of Hanover rearing l on a ground, in WM. Below, a humped scroll inscribed THE ‟KINGS” in Roman letters, in GM, hind legs voided. Die struck in two pieces I.. 2 cu NS loops 8. H 41, W 38, Wt 6.15g <312>
1896/Fm/D1 -The White Horse of Hanover rearing l on a ground, in WM. Below, a humped scroll inscribed THE ‟KINGS” in Roman letters, in GM, hind legs unpierced. Die struck in two piecesI, 2 NS cu loops 8. H 40.5, W 38, Wt 5.63g. <27>
1896/Fm/D1- The White Horse of Hanover rearing l on a ground, in WM. Below, a humped scroll inscribed THE ‟KINGS” in Roman letters, in GM, hind legs voided and filled in strengthened with GM braze. Die struck in two piecesI., cr tap slider 35/10. H 41, W 37, Wt 8.97g. <40>
1896/Fm/D1/var- The White Horse of Hanover rearing l on a ground, in WM. Below, a humped scroll inscribed THE ‟KINGS” in Roman letters, in GM, hind legs voided. Made in two pieces; horse and ground die struck Scroll reverse plain, (cf <92>) I , tap (6-5) slider 38/13 (no traces of loop scars). H 41, W 38, Wt 8.70g. <111>

Last edited by KLR; 31-08-21 at 07:34 PM.