British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Headdress

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-08-20, 08:45 PM

Default Royal Ulster Rifles sides caps

Hi,
Could someone please tell me the reasoning for the blue band on the 2nd cap. Would it be a custom made piece as the first one has a makers stamp and nothing inside 2nd one.

Thanks

fullsizeoutput_77b7.jpg

fullsizeoutput_77ba.jpg

fullsizeoutput_77be.jpg

fullsizeoutput_77c0.jpg

fullsizeoutput_77c1.jpg
Old 09-08-20, 08:48 PM

Could be for the Battalions, 1st Btn. Being one colour 2nd Btn. a different colour. Someone will come along and add more but imagine this may be what it represents, all the best billy
Old 09-08-20, 08:49 PM

Sorry should have mentioned both have same name inside.
Old 10-08-20, 06:10 AM

There was movement between Battalions, skills in a particlar area could be weighted in one Battalion and lacking in the other so trainers poached or for family members to be together if requested this mainly being younger brothers being claimed by an older brother, this happened even when I joined up my brother could have claimed me but He was on a shit posting! Now if he had of been in Hong Kong!! ???

Am going to ask a daft question and one I ought to have asked in the beginning, why have the Royal Ulster Rifles got a side cap? They wore Caubeens and while asking I am assuming Emerald Green, was there other colours? Was there possibly a Black colour (Band) perhaps, this question may answer another's thread, many thanks Billy
Old 10-08-20, 07:21 AM

A well known pre D Day photo of Monty inspecting a fully equipped Rifleman of the RUR. Both officers are wearing 'side caps'.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (92.1 KB, 70 views)
Old 10-08-20, 08:33 AM

No wonder the poor buggers sank as soon as they stepped off their landing craft.
Old 10-08-20, 09:47 AM

They did come along with this which has L/Cpl inside, some of his webbing is marked WO II and there is a belt marked Capt so much span a period.

fullsizeoutput_77c7.jpg
Old 10-08-20, 12:47 PM

Well the Officer is wearing a Boss badge, the war issue beret, is nice and for you to have all trombone person is good as gives factual evidence. Nice to see he made Captain
Old 11-08-20, 02:40 PM

I believe I may be able to help on the blue feature in the forage cap.

I have the personal affects of an RUR soldier in terms of a lot of badges and the like. Among the group was a dark blue reinforced felt semi-circle at 8 inches long and a tad over two inches deep at the widest point. If I could pass this into the front fold of a cap it would be just enough to show proud at the front and disappear after an inch or two down the sides. I never knew what this piece of cloth was but it now appears to have a purpose.

Should there be somebody out there that would like this insert they can have it for free or should I say the cost of mail from Australia.

Please PM me if interested.
Old 11-08-20, 02:44 PM

I saw the blue peak on a khaki Field Service Cap for sale about 20 years ago - but it was badged to The Welch Regiment.
Old 11-08-20, 03:53 PM

The owner's name in the cap is not completely visible but I am guessing that it might be Kirkpatrick. I am not sure how common a name this is but it should be possible to narrow down a list of potential owners.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kirk patrick.jpg (35.6 KB, 12 views)
Old 11-08-20, 08:30 PM

Not sure if this helps or complicates things any as this was in the same box.

The forage caps have 'Jack Kirkpatrick' inside, the caubeen has 'Kirkpatrick' and the webbing, gaitors, lee enfield case, belt etc. have a mixture of 'Kirkpatrick' or JBK.

Do you think John Kirkpatrick went by name of Jack or possibly 2 different family members and this is a mixture of their items.

fullsizeoutput_77c8.jpg
Old 11-08-20, 08:38 PM

I read one source which said the ACF wore a blue strip in the front of their FS caps during WW2.

Last edited by REME 245; 11-08-20 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-08-20, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balian View Post
Not sure if this helps or complicates things any as this was in the same box.

The forage caps have 'Jack Kirkpatrick' inside, the caubeen has 'Kirkpatrick' and the webbing, gaitors, lee enfield case, belt etc. have a mixture of 'Kirkpatrick' or JBK.

Do you think John Kirkpatrick went by name of Jack or possibly 2 different family members and this is a mixture of their items.

Attachment 228937
If you have his pay book your probably have more information than any of us can find out about him on the internet. His service papers will still be held by the M.O.D. for many years. Regimental journals will be your best hope of finding out about his career and where he served.
Old 12-08-20, 07:50 AM

'Since the late 20th century, Jack has become one of the most common names for boys in many English-speaking countries. While Jack is now a proper name in its own right, in English, it was traditionally used as a diminutive form of John.' - Wikipedia

Jack Aubrey in Master and Commander was actually John Aubrey.