British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-05-21, 03:05 PM

Default ZAR Fake Badges?

Hi, in my opinion these badges are fakes. They have definitely been copied off of the Johannesburg Vrijwilliger Corps badge. These are supposed to be Ermelo and Pretoria. They are well aged, but I am of the opinion that they are clever fakes. I got them from Kaplan Auctions. My suspicions have been compounded this past week when another Johannesburg badge(second one in 2 months and not very common) as well as Krugersdorp, Ermelo and Pretoria badges in "Grey Metal" were offered on Kaplan Auctions. Whoever bought them please beware. I am of the opinion that they are also fake. I would be very careful of buying anything on Kaplan Auctions at the present time as someone is placing these items to be auctioned here. Either Kaplan is lacking in knowledge on these badges or doesn't care. I called him about the first 2 badges that I bought and told him that they were copied off of the JVC badge. If this was done in the correct period and worn or not, I did not know. He is aware that they are likely not good, but he says that they come from an old collection. Please be very careful of these items. Regards Andrew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZAR Fakes.jpg (52.7 KB, 46 views)
Old 16-05-21, 04:38 PM

Could you show their reverse please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traist View Post
Hi, in my opinion these badges are fakes. They have definitely been copied off of the Johannesburg Vrijwilliger Corps badge. These are supposed to be Ermelo and Pretoria. They are well aged, but I am of the opinion that they are clever fakes. I got them from Kaplan Auctions. My suspicions have been compounded this past week when another Johannesburg badge(second one in 2 months and not very common) as well as Krugersdorp, Ermelo and Pretoria badges in "Grey Metal" were offered on Kaplan Auctions. Whoever bought them please beware. I am of the opinion that they are also fake. I would be very careful of buying anything on Kaplan Auctions at the present time as someone is placing these items to be auctioned here. Either Kaplan is lacking in knowledge on these badges or doesn't care. I called him about the first 2 badges that I bought and told him that they were copied off of the JVC badge. If this was done in the correct period and worn or not, I did not know. He is aware that they are likely not good, but he says that they come from an old collection. Please be very careful of these items. Regards Andrew
Old 16-05-21, 06:38 PM

Here is a picture from the back. These badges are around 2mm smaller than the JVC badge that I have in my collection. Regards Andrew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZAR fake back.jpg (37.6 KB, 44 views)
Old 16-05-21, 07:32 PM

They look like crossbelt or pouch badges, maybe horse furniture badges?
Old 17-05-21, 05:00 AM

Thanks for heads up Andrew...
Old 17-05-21, 05:03 AM

Hi Phil, they are supposed to be martingale badges. The Johannesburg badge I have is still on the original leather. These however, I think are fakes and never existed. Regards Andrew
Old 17-05-21, 07:40 AM

Thanks for the heads up Andrew.
Must be very disappointing for you anyway, though!
Old 17-05-21, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Hi Phil, they are supposed to be martingale badges. The Johannesburg badge I have is still on the original leather. These however, I think are fakes and never existed. Regards Andrew
Oh, I see, sorry. I assumed they were modelled on cap/helmet badges.
Old 18-05-21, 08:17 AM

Okay, thanks I agree with you.

Quote:
Here is a picture from the back. These badges are around 2mm smaller than the JVC badge that I have in my collection. Regards Andrew
Old 19-05-21, 06:02 PM

I have managed to get a full refund, so at least that is something.
Old 19-05-21, 07:14 PM

Quote:
I have managed to get a full refund, so at least that is something.
Good news.

A few years back I won a nice RN medal group with a Russian post War medal from the same source. When I received the group the Long Service Good Conduct medal that the paperwork clearly stated the man had been awarded, was missing....ummm last time I dealt with them. Also got a refund but it was just a waste of mine and his time!

Brian