British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-02-21, 05:59 PM

Thanks William,
Only took about 10 years to find one!!!
Hopefully a few more will turn up in the coming years.

Brilliant documentation from Mike H in the first place otherwise we may have thought it was just a "fantasy badge".

Regards
Colin
Old 26-02-21, 06:19 PM

Default Devon

The 1that I had I got from Baz Bluntlet years ago paid him £40 it went to Lew Shotton when it ha my collection
Old 27-02-21, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post

4. At the 186th Meeting of the Army Dress Committee, held on 29th May 1968, approval was made for The Devonshire Territorials (Royal Devon Yeomanry/1st Rifle Volunteers), RAC (TA) and ‘D’ Squadron (Royal Devon Yeomanry/1st Rifle Volunteers) of The Royal Wessex Yeomanry (TA) to wear the cap badge of The Devonshire Territorials before development of the new cap badge for The Devonshire Territorials (Royal Devon Yeomanry/1st Rifle Volunteers), RAC (TA) had completed. At the same meeting the Committee inspected and approved, subject to unit approval, the finished samples of the cap badge for The Devonshire Territorials (Royal Devon Yeomanry/The 1st Rifle Volunteers): Badge, Cap, gold and silver A/A for soldiers. Sketch design No. 0.2477. It was noted that no further action was to be taken at that time.
Chris,
The Wessex Yeomanry was not formed until 1971, being raised from cadres of the R Wilts Yeo, R Glos Hussars and Devonshire Territorials (Royal Devon Yeomanry/1st Rifle Volunteers); it was only granted "Royal" status in 1979. Given this, could the ADC meeting of 29.5.68 have referenced D (RDY) Sqn, Wessex Yeo?

The 'Historical Journal of the Royal Wessex Yeomanry Historical' (published by the Regt in 1980 contains some interesting stuff on the Devonshire Territorials:
- the unit was reduced to cadre strength in 1969
- following the cadre's annual camp in 1969 (in the form of attachment to 3RTR at Tidworth), it was given "the honour of being allowed to wear the RTR black beret and cap badge".
- the '1st Rifle Volunteers' part of the title was dropped in 1973/4 [the Journal is not clear on exactly when], as 'E' Coy 1st Wessex Regt had assumed the secondary title "Rifle Volunteers" and "also their silver".
- "Up until the autumn of 1976 the Squadron had continued to wear the mailed fist cap badge of the RAC", when it was replaced by the RDY badge. [Presumably the RAC badge - and dark blue beret - had replaced the RTR badge and beret when the cadre became D Sqn WxY?]

Hope this is of interest!

Clive
Old 27-02-21, 07:42 PM

Hi Clive,

I've been through a few bits of official doco I own on this subject for this era and have to admit that in this case I can not longer find any reference to:

‘D’ Squadron (Royal Devon Yeomanry/1st Rifle Volunteers) of The Royal Wessex Yeomanry (TA)

As such, I have to admit that this part of my text is in error although why I put it in currently remains a mystery to me!

Quick Edit: The Royal Devon Yeomanry now serves as ‘D’ Squadron (Royal Devon Yeomanry/1st Rifle Volunteers) of The Royal Wessex Yeomanry (TA). It did not when 186th Meeting of the Army Dress Committee was held.

The error seems to be a timing issue and is regretted.

Chris

Last edited by hagwalther; 27-02-21 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-03-21, 05:11 PM

Ok please excuse my laziness in not researching, but what is the difference this between this badge and voided castle staybrite badge with the wreath ?
Old 01-03-21, 06:28 PM

The badge and the wording are different.

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-03-21, 12:54 PM

So i see, so this is the final design of badge for what was obviously a short lived regiment.
Old 21-03-21, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrikes-ok View Post
So i see, so this is the final design of badge for what was obviously a short lived regiment.
I think you've got a muddle. The 1st Rifle Volunteers badge was related to the Royal Devon Yeomanry. The Devon territorials was infantry.
Old 26-03-21, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
I think you've got a muddle. The 1st Rifle Volunteers badge was related to the Royal Devon Yeomanry. The Devon territorials was infantry.
I've got a muddle ? Sounds like Cav / Inf crossbreeding that should have never happened and was quickly reversed . Nice badges though.
Old 14-02-23, 10:02 AM

a very rare badge with associated paperwork from Gaunt, though never issued I assume?

So only 4 left to find....

Jerry
Old 16-02-23, 08:36 AM

Default 1st Devon Rifle Voilunteers

One down, three to go? Although I knew it is not a common badge I wasn't aware of its rarity. Added to my collection in 2022 at a reasonable price.

Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6436.jpg (46.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6437.jpg (56.3 KB, 25 views)
Old 16-02-23, 04:14 PM

4 to go ,the paperwork says 6 samples.
Old 16-02-23, 04:21 PM

Good work Ian!
Old 16-02-23, 04:51 PM

Thanks Bess. My second rare find of 2022. Roll on 2023!!

Ian
Old 16-02-23, 04:57 PM

UK Brits also has one.

This means only three left to find?

Cheers all.

William