British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > The Australian General Service Badge (Rising Sun)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-11-11, 08:35 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

G'day Guys

Whilst I am no expert on these things I do have Cossums book on The Rising Sun Badge and a few family WW1 Rising Suns.

The Rising Sun is worn on the left upturned brim of the Slouch Hat, there is one shown on another thread on a Light Horse WW1 hat with the badge on the front of the pugaree. This would be because the hat brim was worn turned down to protect the wearer against the sun in the middle east.

The Rising Sun is held in place by 2 lugs that go through the hats brim and are held in place by a long sprung split wire. I have my dads WW2 Slouch that has this fitting.

Generally speaking Rising Suns with a slider are WW1 issues, however there are WW1 issues with lugs also.

Cossum lists JR Gaunt - London as making Hallmarked Silver badges circa 1904 and shows the HM, and also brass, bronze and Whitemetal issues.

He also list the following makers of WW1 Rising Suns, Tiptaft (double name) with slider, Amor Sydney WW1 or 2 with lugs, an unmarked British made with a slider and 2 unidentified British made badges with lugs.

The family WW1 Rising Suns are, a Tiptaft with slider and is double marked, a Stokes & Son Melb with lugs, now cut off, an unmarked one with a straight tapered slider and a brass Rising Sun with a long Broach pin fitting that is un marked. These came with his medals other badges and his discharge papers and discharge badges and a whole wad of correspondance and a photo of him on horse back.

I also have a WW1 Rising Sun by Stokes & Son Melb with lugs ,it is on a red felt background.

I hope that this helps

Regards

Phil.

Last edited by Lancer 17; 16-11-11 at 10:22 AM.