British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-05-10, 04:04 PM

Default Comments, Observations, and a few Questions.

I returned yesterday from a show in Kansas City, Missouri. A typical US show, mostly American and Nazi, but 2 dealers did have British cap badges. Badger heaven, at least for me. Neither had a great selection but I did find 4 to add to my collection. My first question, did the WWII Army Air Corps badge have a slider, or lugs, or either? I now own one with lugs. Also, can a white metal badge be polished and/or cleaned until it resembles, looks like, a AA badge? I was looking at a Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry badge which I passed on as I just couldn't tell. Has this badge been done in AA? This was a bi-metal badge. The dealer was more into campaign medals and wasn't impressing me with his knowledge. The few other badges he had didn't give me a lot of confidence that they weren't from the Twilight Zone of badges. Walking into a show like this you don't know if anyone will have British badges, and if they do, what they will have. At least I've learned enough from this forum to be skeptical. But, on a badge by badge basis there is no way to remember all the fine points of each and every badge. Likely this is true, to a greater or lesser degree, for most of us. Still, I'm happy with what I bought. Comments and observations, as always, are appreciated.

Don

Last edited by jubilationtcornpone; 16-05-10 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Clarify title
Old 16-05-10, 04:10 PM
L&BH

Hi Don,
I can only tell you that all the genuine WWII Army Air Corps badges I've had in hands and seen had lugs. Now, did a slider version exist, I don't know.

Phil
Old 16-05-10, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

Lugs are correct for WW2. The later Glider Pilot Regt badge did have a slider. Both have been widely faked.
Old 16-05-10, 05:22 PM

How about this one of mine chaps.

Cheers
Malc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Army Air Corps.jpg (55.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Army Air Corps 2.jpg (51.7 KB, 21 views)

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 16-05-10, 10:51 PM

Hello Malcolm,
There was a thread a while back on AAC badges (Andy and Luc if I remember correctly) and ones with sliders are thought to be fakes. Also that the laurel in the wreath (on the left as you view the badge) goes in to the wing of the birds right wing was also thought not to be a good sign. Hope that makes sense.
All the best,
Philip
Old 17-05-10, 12:50 AM

Smile Happy!

Hello Philip,

I checked my new AAC after reading your post and compared it to Malc's picture. Such a fine line between most likely good and might not be. I was told by the dealer that I bought from that his badges had come from an American veteran of the Italian campaign who had gotten them from British units he had worked with. As the AAC now looks good I feel fairly certain that I wasn't being sold a bill of goods. My leaps of faith have not always been similarly been rewarded. Malc, I feel your pain.

Don
Old 17-05-10, 09:19 AM

Alan is correct, only lugs are found on WWII AAC cap badges. There are a couple of examples in my Glider Pilot Regiment album.
Old 17-05-10, 09:51 PM

Thanks for the confirmation guys, in the restrike box it goes.

Cheers
Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.