British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-04-10, 11:10 PM

Default SAS Beret - Age?

Hi Gents,

I'd appreciate the advice of your SAS experts. I'm more of a Willys MB jeep sort of guy and currently renovating a '42 MB to SAS desert configuration. However, I just picked up an SAS beret and would like your opinions on its age and authenticity (or not).... Beret is well worn.......

Appreciate any advice.
Old 19-04-10, 12:46 AM

Geordie,
I'm not good on berets but from what I can see of the badge - looks good for a 1942 pattern.
Have you tested it under uv light.
Can you see the rear of the badge at all?
Cheers,
Del.
Old 19-04-10, 11:25 AM

Indeed badge pattern is 42-43 would we nice to see backing. First appearance could be ok.

What is provenance?

Rgds
JB
Old 19-04-10, 04:39 PM

Hi G,
I am sure the members can provide more information, but for them to be able to do this they need more detailed pictures and the circs of how you came by this beret, do you believe it to be genuine? why?
To start, the badge seems to be about to fall off, any shadow behind the badge?
look forward to your reply, Liam.
Old 19-04-10, 04:41 PM

Sorry,
What I meant was, the badge looks "tacked on" and whats with the pin??
Old 19-04-10, 06:10 PM

My guess is that the badge is not original to the beret, they way it has been affixed to it. The detail of the badge looks quite ok although I am not sure about the blue backing material.

Cheers
JB
Old 19-04-10, 06:50 PM

Do not have much information on the history. The guy I bought it from has been collecting militaria for 35 years and couldn't remember where he picked it up. The pin came with the beret in place - no idea what it is for. Also on the right of the badge/pin there are two holes/slots which seem to indicate somebody at one time had a metal badge fixed to the beret.

The badge is attached to the beret with yellow/sand coloured thread. I'll try and take a photo of the back of the badge at the top without damaging the thread.
Old 19-04-10, 07:01 PM

The fact that there has been a metal badge is a bad sign, in ww2 only cloth badges were worn.

JB
Old 19-04-10, 07:37 PM

They are air vent holes......

Tom
Old 19-04-10, 07:48 PM

I'm not talking about the two cylindrical holes, but two slots near to the cloth badge. You can just make then out on the first photo above the pin.
Old 19-04-10, 08:15 PM

Default wet test

Hi,
The badge may well be ok. The beret could be anything,a pic of it inside out will help,also the wet test may bring out any lettering on the crown of the lining,this is done by soaking the lining in water and waiting for something to appear,let it dry out naturally and it should recover ok. I for one don't like how the badge is tacked on and with tan thread! The holes near the badge are of concern but do they go through the lining as well? Was it a private purchase or a dealer one? And are you a Geordie as we are few and far between up here!!
Regards,Ivan
Old 20-04-10, 02:15 AM

Ivan,

Yep, I'm a Geordie, currently living in Colorado, USA.

To answer your other questions, it looks like the two holes go through the lining. I took a photo of the back of the badge (as well as I could without cutting it off the beret). It looks like the badge has a brown backing to it?

I also took a photo of of the thread used to sew it on from the inside of the beret.

Old 20-04-10, 06:10 AM

I a pretty convinced that the badge was put on the beret later on. The way it has been sewed on would be a disgrace for a soldier even for a S(aturday) A(fternoon) S(oldier).

The badge may be ok but we would need to see unfortunately the whole backing.

Cheers
JB
Old 20-04-10, 01:37 PM

So do I take the badge off to check, or will that have a detrimental affect on the 'value' (which I know can't be confirmed until I can check the badge).......I guess it's a bit of a chicken and an egg.........
Old 20-04-10, 05:16 PM

It is up to you of course, remember that you may not get 100% certainty even if we see the backing of the beret badge although generally this is a good indicator.

My feeling is that the beret and badge are put together. Indicators the two holes where a badge has been indicating post war beret and the way the badge has been stiched to the beret.

Cheers
JB