British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-05-19, 12:00 AM

Default Some odd Australian Army buttons for comment

Dear All,

Over the years, I have acquired a few items which just don't quite fit the 'run of the mill' stuff. I'm sure that most of you have picked up odd bits and pieces with no provenance as well.

In that vein... here are a few images of some buttons which seem odd (to me), which have been photographed beside a standard General Service button, for size comparison.

As you can see, immediately below the entirely standard (anodised) General Service button... is an oversized item, with the current period ('The Australian Army') Rising Sun device on its face. It looks too big to be worn on anything less than a (former) great coat/modern overcoat. I will check on the Fed Guard's use of the overcoat, in order to rule that out (because I would expect to find that GS buttons are used). So, I'm wondering if this 'beast' might actually be a drawer handle for some small display piece?

Then underneath that, is a very odd general service button shell (I think) with a proper manufacturer's (footed) lug soldered to the back. I'm not sure if the black paint residue on the front is pertinent to its history or use... but apart from mere whimsy... the only thing that comes to mind is that a button which is smaller than mid-sized and larger than cap/gorget, was required for something?

Then there is the apparently anodised shell on an earlier KC period button body. I have not put it under a microscope and looked carefully to verify whether the button face is anodised aluminium... but I thought this might well be a known item to Forum members in any event?

Finally, there is a cap/gorget sized item with a Queen's Crown device, but it is made in brass with a centrally placed brass lug, rather than a cast aluminium button body with an integrated shank and a pressed aluminium shell for the button face. A very odd little beast... it makes me wonder if there may be larger sizes made the same way and if so, for what purpose.

Anyway, these are all outside of my quite narrow knowledge base.

Regards

Yours in militaria collecting, research and scribbling about it all

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Odd buttons obverse.jpg (43.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Odd button versos.jpg (34.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Odd buttons obverse detail 1 LGE.jpg (46.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Odd button versos 2.jpg (55.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Odd buttons obverse detail 2 LGE.jpg (48.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Odd button versos detail 3.jpg (41.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 25-05-19, 07:54 AM

hi Mark
sorry i cant help but i have this boxed set.
this came from a chap who worked in procurements at Vic Barracks Melbourne.
cheers
bc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8932.jpg (68.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8934.jpg (52.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 26-05-19, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgecollector View Post
hi Mark
sorry i cant help but i have this boxed set.
this came from a chap who worked in procurements at Vic Barracks Melbourne.
cheers
bc
Thanks BC,

Those buton samples look perfect! The 1980's 'Squewered Roo' design are actually my favourite period design andnthey are getting quite difficult to acquire. Like a lot of buttons, they are vastly under rated and under collected.

The black/subdued set (as you would know) are quite hard to obtain... especially the small cap/gorget sized specimens. Not to mention that your sample set comes with some provenance... which adds a layer of value as well.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards
Mark