British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-01-16, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Spellman View Post
Hi Mike,
This has came up on here before on an old thread saying they wore a small beret type metal badge with K/C in the 16-18 month period before amalgamation.
One similar in the bottom centre of my image.
I have searched and asked this question a few times and have found no evidence if this was the case or if they wore AA or the Bimetal badge with QC.
The Lancashire PWV had no official cap badge of their own and it has been suggested they wore a collar badge prior to the amalgamation.
I find it surprising that no definitive answer to this has been found considering it is quite a modern period.
I do wander if the continued wearing of the Lancaster Brigade badge was the easy solution rather than some of the answers I have heard
Paul
Mike. Somewhere i have the answer to the Lancashire PWV in writing if i can find it i will post it. But yes they did wear a collar badge as cap badge .

Iain
Old 24-01-16, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iain View Post
Mike. Somewhere i have the answer to the Lancashire PWV in writing if i can find it i will post it. But yes they did wear a collar badge as cap badge .

Iain
Hi Iain,

It may be in my book:

"...Due to administrative and supply difficulties is was not unknown for regular units to wear, as an interim measure, anodised aluminium collar badges in place of anodised aluminium cap badges. Examples documented in Appendix 4 - Authorised Cap Badges include The Duke of Edinburgh’s Royal Regiment (Berkshire and Wiltshire), The King’s Regiment, The South Lancashire Regiment (Prince of Wales’s Volunteers). Such a practice also extended to those cadet force units that were affiliated to The Royal Anglian Regiment and this is recorded in the 244th Meeting of the Army Dress Committee, held on 17th December 1979. The Committee had agreed that the battalions of The Royal Anglian Regiment were to wear new design anodised aluminium collar badges instead of the currently worn collar badges of The Royal Anglian Regiment..."

Iain, appendices 1, 2, 3b 4 goes into more details of both small and large A/A cap badges together, in appendix 4, with the OFFICIAL authorisation by the Army Dress Committee of the A/A cap badge replacing the collar badge which was being used in the cap.

Regards,

Chris
Old 24-01-16, 09:15 PM

Default Lancashire PWV

Thanks Chris. But this should tie down the question of the Lancs collar/cap badge.
This is taken from the regiment mag, Autumn 1968. Sorry a bit shaky but still readable i hope, the third paragraph concerns the badge.The regt was transferred to the Kings div with effect 1st July 1968.

Iain

Last edited by iain; 25-07-16 at 10:58 AM.
Old 25-01-16, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iain View Post
Thanks Chris. But this should tie down the question of the Lancs collar/cap badge.
This is taken from the regiment mag, Autumn 1968. Sorry a bit shaky but still readable i hope, the third paragraph concerns the badge.The regt was transferred to the Kings div with effect 1st July 1968.

Iain
Hi Iain,

That reconciles with the date of sealing from the pattern card of the A/A cap badge of the Queen’s Lancashire Regiment on 28th Nov 1969 (sometimes things took a while to get going).

Note: this badge was also resealed 27th April 1994 and 6th Aug 1997. There is even another pattern card for the A/A cap badge of the Queen’s Lancashire Regiment sealed 23 July 1981 with a special note of 'CANCELLED' written on it.

This is from page 529 of my book re: Queen's Lancashire Regt for those without a copy:

1. At the 192nd Meeting of the Army Dress Committee, held on 17th June 1969, the Committee decided to approve the sketch design (No. 0.2753) of the cap badge for The Queen’s Lancashire Regiment: Badge, Cap in gold A/A for soldiers. This badge to replace the following:
a) Badge, Organisation, Lancastrian Brigade, A/A, Cap (CB 8455-99-974-1096).
b) Badge, Collar, The South Lancashire Regiment (Prince of Wales’s Volunteers), A/A, (CB 8099) in use as a cap badge.
c) Badge, Organisation, The Loyal Regiment (North Lancashire), A/A, Cap (CB 8455-99-973-9430).
2. At the 195th Meeting of the Army Dress Committee, held on 27th October 1969, the Committee decided to approve the finished samples of the cap badge for The Queen’s Lancashire Regiment: soldiers; gold A/A; sketch design No. 0.2753.
3. This badge is often found with a red rose. Such examples were probably ‘painted up’ and used by officers, unofficially, as a replacement for the officially authorised item being: Badge, Cap in bright polished gilt, with a red enamelled rose, for officers; sketch design No. 0.2753. The officers piece in polished gilt was also approved at the 195th Meeting of the Army Dress Committee.

Note item no 1. b) above where a collar badge of the The South Lancashire Regiment (Prince of Wales’s Volunteers) together with its CB No. is being used as a cap badge...

With Iain's documentation and the Army Dress Committee I think we can honestly say that the The South Lancashire Regiment (Prince of Wales’s Volunteers) did wear a collar badge as a cap badge.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited by hagwalther; 25-01-16 at 06:47 AM.
Old 25-01-16, 06:42 AM
Former Member

Chris,
great stuff as always!!

However "Such examples were probably ‘painted up’ and used by officers, unofficially, as a replacement for the officially authorised item" was Regimental practice for OR's and "unlikely" to have been done by officers who would have purchase the better quality "authorised" item mentioned.

Andy
Old 25-01-16, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Chris,
great stuff as always!!

However "Such examples were probably ‘painted up’ and used by officers, unofficially, as a replacement for the officially authorised item" was Regimental practice for OR's and "unlikely" to have been done by officers who would have purchase the better quality "authorised" item mentioned.

Andy
Hi Andy,

Could be - wonder if we can find out?

Regards,

Chris
Old 25-01-16, 07:21 AM
Former Member

Chris,
I'm not sure if they had a bullion beret badge and would certainly not got away with wearing an Ano badge in the SD or Forage Cap. Plenty of Extras from the Adjutant!!!

It "May" of happened in a TA or Cadet unit, however I am pretty certain it would have been "Unlikely" in the Regular Bn!

Andy
Old 25-01-16, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Chris,
I'm not sure if they had a bullion beret badge and would certainly not got away with wearing an Ano badge in the SD or Forage Cap. Plenty of Extras from the Adjutant!!!

It "May" of happened in a TA or Cadet unit, however I am pretty certain it would have been "Unlikely" in the Regular Bn!

Andy
OK, something to think about...

Regards,

Chris
Old 25-01-16, 08:33 AM

Gents, I can confirm ACF wore the QLR cap badge anodised with a painted red rose, mounted on the elongated yellow plastic diamond backing. Obtained from a fellow cadet in another unit about 1982 ish - I still have it.

I concur with Andy - the AA badge would not have been worn as a replacement by commissioned officers.

Regards to all

Bess
Old 25-01-16, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bess55 View Post
Gents, I can confirm ACF wore the QLR cap badge anodised with a painted red rose, mounted on the elongated yellow plastic diamond backing. Obtained from a fellow cadet in another unit about 1982 ish - I still have it.

I concur with Andy - the AA badge would not have been worn as a replacement by commissioned officers.

Regards to all

Bess
Thanks Bess, Andy;

I'll update the master chapters of my book for future reference.

Thanks!

Chris
Old 25-01-16, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Chris,

Andy
I can confirm they did have an embroidered beret badge.
Old 25-01-16, 10:11 AM

Embroidered badges in wear
Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (83.2 KB, 33 views)
Old 25-01-16, 10:19 AM

Great info Iain,
I must admit I am struggling to get an image of a Lancashire PWV (S.Lancs pattern) collar in wear.
I post the image of a S.Lancs TA collar ( according to Churchill) bimetal with South Lancashire Regt on scroll c.1951,the OSD is the regular pattern which I believe is the same for the OR's though in Bimetal/AA ?? Prince of Wales's Vols on scroll ( this I believe the last pattern)
There was for sale Clanfield site as Lancashire Regt collars the plume with ich dean, I am not sure they are correct can anyone confirm.
Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (65.9 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Paul Spellman; 25-01-16 at 10:28 AM.
Old 25-01-16, 10:26 AM

Back to the Loyals,
This image from the Regt Mag shows the Loyals doing a beach assault in 1969,
I don't think that this is a Loyals badge, it looks more like a Lancs Brigade one to me, the caption or photo may be wrong. What do others think??
Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (73.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 25-01-16, 10:28 AM

Better pic with caption
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (62.6 KB, 21 views)