British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-12-20, 08:58 AM

Default Suffolk KC, Added Turret.

Hi All,
Having now finished off the mince pies, my thoughts have returned to Suffolk badge variations, and despite several adverse comments about it's price, a certain 2 tower KC badge is now on it's way to me. An added turret badge, is the next objective, and I have been looking at one of these badges from another dealer ( same price, strangely enough ! ) I have mentioned this particular badge before, but there was no comment, I will try again. I have attached a couple of pics of badges from the forum, with "normal" added turrets, and then a couple, of the badge, in question, with it's ( to me ) lopsided, rather poorly fitted turret. Am I being over fussy, and is this badge perfectly acceptable, as it is?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0965.JPG (88.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0966.JPG (90.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0967.JPG (41.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0968.JPG (56.5 KB, 41 views)
Old 27-12-20, 10:48 AM

Default Suffolk badge

I have a couple of these, poorly made IMO, but normal.

Rob
Old 27-12-20, 11:22 AM

Hi Rob, a minute or two with a round needle file would improve this badge, no end, would that be acceptable, I wonder?
Old 27-12-20, 01:15 PM

There is quite a difference between these two badges, the 2nd one may well be the badgemakers equivalent of the Chinese friday afternoon job. You can see that a piece has been taken out of the Gibraltar scroll, on the left hand side, so even tidying it up with a file might not work too well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0966.JPG (90.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0967.JPG (41.5 KB, 31 views)
Old 27-12-20, 01:19 PM

In my opinion that badge looks like it has a solid centre which has been hand voided. The whole voided area looks like it was done by a drunkard! Really rough finish.
Old 27-12-20, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thursdaychris View Post
Hi Rob, a minute or two with a round needle file would improve this badge, no end, would that be acceptable, I wonder?
I would leave as is. That was how it was made and probably worn.
Old 28-12-20, 05:50 PM

Cool Suffolk badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by thursdaychris View Post
Definitely not, these items were struck, often without too much care or inspection by quality control.

They were made to be worn rather than collected, some were superb and others not so, originality IMO is the main thing and any alterations detract from the item.

Rob