British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-11-10, 09:18 PM

The paratroop regiment shoulder title comes in 2 variations including starch back. Peter Taylor dates it to around August 1942.

Also there is one serif font type starch back variation of the parachute title which is often referred to as the North Africa title. Not sure if this is true but it would date it to 1942.

And the first pattern Dutch in exile nationality patch was made in 1940.
Old 25-11-10, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Luc, Any indication of the makers on these? There is a suggestion that these titles were made in Holland, but this would be impossible for the titles you mention and the dates attributed to them.
Old 25-11-10, 10:29 PM

Bill, do you mean the Dutch in exile nationality patch? It was sealed 15 November 1940 by the Dutch Ministry of War in London so they were made in the UK. Perhaps there are different patterns but I only know the starch backs.
Old 25-11-10, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Luc, I am trying to establish who made the starch backs, the actual manufacturer. I have a bit of evidence that it may be Lewis Falk, but no confirmation. It appears all the starch backs (the Canadian ones) were made by the same maker, but there isn't a shred of paper work to indicate who they came from. They were never officially procured by the Canadian army, and were likely a regimental or individual purchase item.
Old 26-11-10, 03:43 AM

Default Camerons..

Bill, My dad and I have been wondering about Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa glue backs. Given that the unit dropped the suffix MG from their Regimental name in 1942, I,m wondering why Glue backs would have been made with this suffix as they clearly were unless the mfg date is earlier that previously thought. Photos show the MG title still being worn in 1942 but D Day era shots clearly show the Regiment wearing the titles that I sent you Monday..the sans MG version. Another area of intrigue needing research. Any ideas?