British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-07-19, 03:37 AM

Default E.C.N.S.F badge?

Hi all

This item off eBay piqued my curiousity a few weeks back. It's a bit over an inch top to bottom and is made by Fattorini, Bradford.

The "service bars" are added and would appear to have been cut from a block. I'm guessing that they might have had a "1914" bar but that the owner wasn't eligible for that.

The bars have been hard soldered in place and maybe not quite up to Fattroini's usually high standard. You wonder if they weren't made by this firm.

So what do we know about it? Well the coat of arms is for Carlisle, so I'm guessing that the "C" stands for Carlisle but as for the rest.....

Answers on a postcard!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ecnsf.jpg (20.2 KB, 81 views)
Old 15-07-19, 06:52 AM

EAST CUMBERLAND NATIONAL SHELL FACTORY

"The East Cumberland National Shell Factory was established at a War Office Rifle Drill Hall on Strand Road, Carlisle, on 18th September 1915. This was lent free of rent for the course of the First World War and was supplemented by the nearby Territorial Force Association hall. A neighbouring dwelling house was also taken over and a mission hall was adapted for a canteen. The factory was administered by a Board of Management, acting in association with the Munitions Committee for East Cumberland and with an Area Engineer. The Board signed an agreement to produce 1,500 18 pounder shells weekly rising to 2,000. Despite the makeshift facilities they soon exceeded this target and by 1917 produced 4,000 shells a week. In addition they stripped, cleaned and re-made large quantities of proof-shot for the artillery. In October the factory employed 257 people, of whom 81 per cent were women. The total output was 304,600 18 pounder high explosives and 2,000 18 pounder smoke. The capital expenditure by the Ministry of Munitions to 31st March 1918 was £12,800."

Established in 1915 therefore no 1914 bar.
Old 15-07-19, 09:56 AM

Go Mike, well sorted!
Old 16-07-19, 12:50 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post

"The East Cumberland National Shell Factory was established at a War Office Rifle Drill Hall on Strand Road, Carlisle, on 18th September 1915. This was lent free of rent for the course of the First World War and was supplemented by the nearby Territorial Force Association hall. A neighbouring dwelling house was also taken over and a mission hall was adapted for a canteen. The factory was administered by a Board of Management, acting in association with the Munitions Committee for East Cumberland and with an Area Engineer. The Board signed an agreement to produce 1,500 18 pounder shells weekly rising to 2,000. Despite the makeshift facilities they soon exceeded this target and by 1917 produced 4,000 shells a week. In addition they stripped, cleaned and re-made large quantities of proof-shot for the artillery. In October the factory employed 257 people, of whom 81 per cent were women. The total output was 304,600 18 pounder high explosives and 2,000 18 pounder smoke. The capital expenditure by the Ministry of Munitions to 31st March 1918 was £12,800."

WOW, Mike! Don't know how to thank you. Beer? Coffee? Wine? I saw it and bought it because of the date(s). It wasn't very expensive either and I'm almost tempted to bung the guy another few quid...

He had no idea, I had no idea, we BOTH had no idea...

Right in my filed anyway!
Old 16-07-19, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post

Well done mike,this is why the forum is so good
Old 16-07-19, 09:30 AM

I could be completely wrong !

Spent a couple of minutes looking for 'East/Eastern Carlisle' then added 'WW1' and a link to "national shell factories" appeared and all became clear.

No definative proof about the badge but it fits the bill and couldn't find anything else from that era.

I may not know much about badges but when it comes to searching on Google I tend to think "outside the box" and have hit it lucky a few times.
Old 17-07-19, 12:58 AM

Hi Mike

No, you're on the money I think. I couldn't think of anything else that fits!

It'll be a "post war" award worn by a proud lady.

Many, many thanks!