British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Officer Training and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-06-09, 10:24 PM

Default RMC badge unknown to me.

A Royal Military College (Canada) cap badge for sale by a well-known british auctioneer.
My question is, that I have never seen this type before so is it original and when was it worn ??? Has a reverse slider and a loop/lug ?????
Jo
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canada-Royal-M...3A2%7C294%3A30

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 02-06-09, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Jo, Very odd badge. Note the somewhat bizarre fastening system. I wonder if that may be a pugaree badge?
Old 02-06-09, 10:39 PM
Former Member

By the arrangement of the fittings I would think this is more likely to be Australian (JOKE - you'll probably have to be British to go with this). In all fairness to the sellers they are trying to provide a good service to collectors and do have some very nice items. I blame their source for selling them duboius items, I'm not sure if this applies here as it looks to me that the slider has been fitted upside down
Old 02-06-09, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Andy, I hope you are not assailed by the Aussie contingent on the site. I have no problem with the vendor on this lot, it is the lot itself that is very unusual. The badge is very odd, and is not mentioned in any of the standard references. The fasteners are especially odd with the upside down slider and the lug fastening. It would appear that the badge would be slipped upwards under something, eg fabric, material, or a pugaree, and then held in place by the lug and split pin. I suppose that it is possible that this could be a pouch badge as well, but most Canadian pouch badges are three lug or four lug patterns.
Old 03-06-09, 12:03 AM

These illustrations are the known QC models of the Canadian Royal Military College. The KC models were the same.
Jo

http://classof1960.rmcclub.ca/RMC-CMRcrestEnglish.jpg

http://classof1960.rmcclub.ca/RMC-CMRcrestFrench.jpg

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”

Old 03-06-09, 05:37 AM

This badge is documented in Cap Badges of the Canadian Officer Training Corps / Vol. 2 by Roy Thompson. On page 68 of his book, Major Thompson writes:

Cap: C-68 - White Metal
Collars: Unknown
Note: Quite likely a belt buckle but no photographic evidence exists to support its use, presumably after 1901, as part of an undress uniform. Since it may have been a cap, it is included.

Judging by the fasteners, it is more likely a headress badge of some sort than a buckle badge.

I have seen badges similar to this on buckles & also as a gilt collar pair. The chief differences from the ebay (C-68) badge were that these were voided within the annulus, & that they incorporated a 3/4 wreath of maple leaves from the bottom up to the 'Truth Duty Valour' scrolls. The collars had lugs - I have never seen or heard of a matching cap badge. The buckle badge had 4 lugs & was attached to a brass plate buckle with 2 wire type pins. Again, I don't know what era / uniform this buckle fits.
Old 04-06-09, 09:04 PM

Default RMC badge unknown to me.

A fellow collector and I have discussed this one at some length. Each of us has one but neither knows when or on what it was worn. To make matters worse, the curator of the RMC Museum does not know anything about it either.
Wyn
Old 04-06-09, 11:14 PM

Well Gentlemen, I suppose the buyer of this badge knows something that we don't. At 51.05GBP ($90.00C) he can't afford to buy a piece of scrap metal.
Jo
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canada-Royal-M...3A2%7C294%3A30