British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-02-17, 11:44 PM

Default Pioneer Sergeant and beards

http://forces.tv/42849745

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 08-02-17, 02:43 AM

You want beards...all photos courtesy of The Regimental Rogue.
Jo
The RCR Pioneers Jug Band,1955.
All members of the Pioneer Platoon of the 2nd Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment, serving in Germany, they are, left to right, front row: Sgt Joe York, Toronto, with a jug that's good when full and good for bass noted when empty; Pte Al Selig, Hantsport, Nova Scotia, with musical saw; and L/Cpl John Karmasinuk of Winnipeg, with accordion. In back row, left to right, are: Pte Ken Durant of Montreal, violin; Pte Allan Crane of Belle Isle, Newfoundland, harmonica; and Pte Don Johnson, Mimico, Ontario, with guitar." (United Press Photo; 28 Oct 1955)
http://regimentalrogue.tripod.com/bl...955_700px.jpeg

One member of the jug band, however, has been seen by many members of the Regiment over past decades. Al Selig's photo, allegedly brought back from a professional photographer's window display in Cyprus by regimental members on a later tour after it was replaced, was to be found in the entrance to The Royal Canadian Regiment Museum:
http://regimentalrogue.tripod.com/bl...0-70_500px.jpg

This one,it seems, was taken in Bosnia.
http://regimentalrogue.tripod.com/bl..._commandos.jpg

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 08-02-17, 06:59 AM

I remember an item in "Soldier" magazine back in the 1970s mentioning the fact that in the Canadian army it was not just the pioneer sergeant that was bearded.
Old 08-02-17, 11:23 AM

I like this photo of two Welsh pioneer sgts.

It was long a barrack room myth that Royal Pioneer Corps Sgts wore beards and carried axes, despite their being no historical link between RPC and Infantry Pioneers.

However, it seems that the myth became the reality;

Royal Pioneer Corps Disbandment Parade before being absorbed into Royal Logistics Corps

Links
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4076/4...b3b2a217fb.jpg

http://www.royallogisticcorps.co.uk/...15/02/axes.jpg

Last edited by Carnforth; 08-02-17 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-02-17, 07:44 PM

Default The Queen's Own Rifles of Canada

Old 08-02-17, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWEF View Post
I remember an item in "Soldier" magazine back in the 1970s mentioning the fact that in the Canadian army it was not just the pioneer sergeant that was bearded.
Correct re beards for all in the Pioneer Pl. Back in the seventies, I had occasion to be attached to 3 PPCLI for a bit. Though it was not usual for a medic to be full-time with the Pioneer Pl, that's where I was for work-up to the exercise that was the reason for the augmentation through to the actual ex and re-deployment. While not everyone in the platoon had a beard (some may have had difficulty getting a good growth) most did, including the Pl Comd, though the Lt's beard was a bit sparse. During the several weeks that I was with the platoon, the Sgt told me that he had no problem with me not shaving. They also passed the same to the Fd Engr section that also was attached to the pl, though I don't recall any of the sappers taking them up on the opportunity. I didn't have a full bushy beard by the time I had to shave before going back to the fd amb, but it was a respectable start. Even the RSM said nothing to me about my facial hair. It was one of the more enjoyable exercises that I was on as a young soldier - learned to make things go boom.
Old 08-02-17, 10:20 PM

On my Pioneer course with 1PPCLI in the 80s we were all ordered to grow beards. If after a suitable time the Pl WO was happy you could carry on growing. If you were a baby face and couldn't grow one then you were ordered to shave. In hindsight I think this was a test to see if you would be slave traded (cross posted) to Pioneer Platoon.