British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

   

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

 Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH
 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 16-03-22, 09:45 PM
Luke H's Avatar
Luke H Luke H is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Londoner in exile
Posts: 5,005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Jaywick Sands - got a mention from President Trump when he had a Twitter account didn't it?
Something like that, yes.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.t...ity-shows/amp/
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 21-03-22, 09:43 AM
natal01 natal01 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: durban, south africa
Posts: 541
Default

And yet....ask a Ukranian or Syrian refugee if they would care to live in Luton and I'm sure that the response will be uniformly positive. Its all relative
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 21-03-22, 01:48 PM
Hoot Hoot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by natal01 View Post
And yet....ask a Ukranian or Syrian refugee if they would care to live in Luton and I'm sure that the response will be uniformly positive. Its all relative
Given the choice between Luton or Ukraine right now is rather stating the obvious. Getting stabbed or mugged or burgled in Luton is preferable to being blasted to death by the craziest nut job since Hitler. That doesn't make Luton any less of a shithole.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 21-03-22, 03:42 PM
cbuehler's Avatar
cbuehler cbuehler is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,926
Default

Luton sounds like quite the place. So close to London as well. Perusing google maps and streets, it just does not "look" the part though. I suppose it is many of the residents themselves, not really the physical appearance of the town to a great degree, unlike here in the US wherein the appearance matches the reputation.

CB
__________________
"We seldom learn the true want of what we have till it is discovered that we can have no more." Sam. Johnson
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 21-03-22, 05:49 PM
Hoot Hoot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
Luton sounds like quite the place. So close to London as well. Perusing google maps and streets, it just does not "look" the part though. I suppose it is many of the residents themselves, not really the physical appearance of the town to a great degree, unlike here in the US wherein the appearance matches the reputation.

CB
CB, you've hit the nail on the head, it is many of the residents themselves. Out of respect for the forum rules I'll go no further.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 21-03-22, 07:40 PM
gb64's Avatar
gb64 gb64 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bedfordshire
Posts: 1,277
Default

I could show you some lovely choice places in London that would give Luton a run for its money , I’ve worked all over London, Luton and many more places besides, like a lot of places you’ve got lovely areas and then literally just turn down the next street and you’re in a different world altogether

Gerard
__________________
Always interested in buying cap badges to the Middlesex Regt-Hertfordshire Regt-The Rifle Brigade
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 21-03-22, 08:13 PM
Hoot Hoot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb64 View Post
I could show you some lovely choice places in London that would give Luton a run for its money , I’ve worked all over London, Luton and many more places besides, like a lot of places you’ve got lovely areas and then literally just turn down the next street and you’re in a different world altogether

Gerard
Yes you are, quite literally, in another world. Despite all the media guff Luton is living proof that multiculturalism does not work, simple as that. I speak from experience.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 21-03-22, 08:14 PM
Phil2M's Avatar
Phil2M Phil2M is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Essex
Posts: 6,221
Default

I'd would rather visit Jaywick than visit Luton again. I live in an area of Essex that is considered by many to be a s**t hole but I always say 'at least it isn't Basildon' we just have to put up with all their scum and drug dealers coming in at night to wreak their havoc.

I'd rather live here than back in Southend on Sea, or anywhere in Thurrock too. Southend may be a city now but its a run down dump with a corrupt council and absolutely nothing to visit for unless you enjoy sitting in traffic. One thing it does have is one of the highest numbers of speed cameras on a single road (A127) than anywhere else I have ever been.
__________________
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 22-03-22, 12:28 AM
cbuehler's Avatar
cbuehler cbuehler is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,926
Default

I don't know of the social issues that plague some of these towns, but even Jaywick might look somewhat inviting in the sun.
My initial thoughts on these utoob presentations were that journalistic license or shock value is often being used, whilst the visual depictions themselves seemed not to agree.
At any rate, what with the world it is today and mounting costs of everything, I am not likely to be visiting anywhere.

CB
__________________
"We seldom learn the true want of what we have till it is discovered that we can have no more." Sam. Johnson
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 30-03-22, 01:12 AM
cbuehler's Avatar
cbuehler cbuehler is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,926
Default

This may give an idea of the comparison that I thought of. Surely, nowhere in the UK is like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF0Xw2cC_cU

CB
__________________
"We seldom learn the true want of what we have till it is discovered that we can have no more." Sam. Johnson
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 30-03-22, 03:20 AM
Jelly Terror's Avatar
Jelly Terror Jelly Terror is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 2,499
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
This may give an idea of the comparison that I thought of. Surely, nowhere in the UK is like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF0Xw2cC_cU

CB
At least Detroit could, I suppose, cite abandonment as being the cause of its deterioration, something some areas of London simply could not offer as a defence for being total and utter khasis. And that, in my humble opinion, is attributable purely and simply to the sorts of people inhabiting these places; people with nothing but a sneering disrespect, a foul contempt and a sickening disregard for everything and everyone around them (as opposed to an absence of people, as in Detroit's case).

And it's not getting any better; the pernicious effects are worryingly pervasive and nothing short of terrifying. It saddens me to say that I could take you right now to areas of east London that would shock the bejesus out of you.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 30-03-22, 05:12 AM
Home Guard's Avatar
Home Guard Home Guard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,175
Default

I am friends with a retired Detroit policeman who walked a beat his entire career. Some of the stories he told me are almost unbelievable! Every city or town is going ot have it "shady" section, but there are some places I truly would not want to live. But I'm a small town boy anyway!

Terry
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 30-03-22, 08:51 AM
Terry Rayner Terry Rayner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Adelaide formally Romford
Posts: 305
Default

There are two England's. One, the country side and village's, the other are the towns and city's. I have returned to the UK, many times since we left in 1964.The country side has not changed at all, somehow our rented car always pulled into a country pub there's nothing like it in the world. Most of my family still live in the same area they were born in, they moan about the living conditions, congestion on the roads and the weather. If I came from Luton or the equivalent dump, I would make an effort to move my family out of it. Perhaps some of these people who complain that they have lived there all their lives and can't do anything about it, should read Alan Sugars books, you cant feel sorry for people who don't help themselves.
Regards Terry
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 30-03-22, 09:45 AM
Hoot Hoot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Rayner View Post
There are two England's. One, the country side and village's, the other are the towns and city's. I have returned to the UK, many times since we left in 1964.The country side has not changed at all, somehow our rented car always pulled into a country pub there's nothing like it in the world. Most of my family still live in the same area they were born in, they moan about the living conditions, congestion on the roads and the weather. If I came from Luton or the equivalent dump, I would make an effort to move my family out of it. Perhaps some of these people who complain that they have lived there all their lives and can't do anything about it, should read Alan Sugars books, you cant feel sorry for people who don't help themselves.
Regards Terry
I'll take that as a dig at me, not the first one either. I don't live in Luton, I live in neighbouring Dunstable which is a reasonable sort of place. In about 1980 I had the opportunity to move to Australia and work for my cousin in his motor parts business but my wife preferred to stay put so that put paid to that. From what I understand Australia is a great place to live but, according to an Aussie acquaintance of mine, the only problem is it's crawling with "Whingeing Poms".
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 30-03-22, 03:36 PM
cbuehler's Avatar
cbuehler cbuehler is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,926
Default

Well, I found this video. It is indeed dismal and even approaches some of the worst in the US! I was unaware of such areas in London. But there are people all around.
Graffiti is a world wide disease which I cannot understand. We have no blighted areas in San Francisco such as this and other cities in the US, but graffiti has of late been more visible.
Indeed, the country villages in the UK are beautiful beyond description from what I see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qI-sKmvu0Y


CB
__________________
"We seldom learn the true want of what we have till it is discovered that we can have no more." Sam. Johnson
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:55 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.