British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-02-09, 06:49 PM

Default "Bugle" cap badges

One of my interests is Light Infantry "Bugle" badges.

Would it be possible for our Commonwealth members to supply a list
of applicable badges for their own countries.

Also if possible whether they are commonly faked and approx price levels.

Thanks
Gordon
Old 18-02-09, 10:56 PM

Hi.
Royal Guernsey Light Infantry (various patterns) O/R's brass version has been copied to the point that you very rarely see a genuine one for sale. Original O/Rs badges sell (if you can find one) for between £15 to £25 depending on condition.
Jermil
Old 18-02-09, 11:56 PM

From Australia.

The Victorian Rifles in the period 1903 - 1911 wore a LI bugle surmounted by a KC above the bugle cords.

The Queensland Rifles in the same period wore a French horn within a circle surmounted by a KC.

The 51st (Albert Park)) Infantry wore a LI bugle surmounted by a KC above the bugle cords and between the cords an oval enclosing the number 51 during the period post c1912 to c1918. See below. It was the successor to the Victorian Rifles after the 1911 reforms. Not to be confused with the 51st Bn AIF.

All very rare and expensive.

That is about it. Unlike the Canadians, Australia rarely used the British designs as the basis for their badges, with the exception of some "Scottish" units, with the result they are not very attractive or eye catching designs.

Cheers
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg %1st Infantry.jpg (52.4 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by Chrisr; 19-02-09 at 02:30 AM.
Old 19-02-09, 12:00 AM

The North Saskatchewan Regiment in Canada. The badge is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_S...hewan_Regiment

Our Canadian colleagues will be able to list more of them.

Cheers
Chris
Old 19-02-09, 12:43 AM

Here is one that I am not sure of. Have been advised by Bwetdude that it is the Rand Light Infantry - South African. Thank you Patrick.

Cheers
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RLI F.jpg (96.9 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Chrisr; 19-02-09 at 04:59 AM.
Old 19-02-09, 12:46 AM

The Kings African Rifles. Have tried to upload a photo of the 2nd KAR but it doesn't want to play ball.

Cheers
Chris

Finally got it to work
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2nd KAR F.jpg (55.2 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Chrisr; 19-02-09 at 03:28 AM.
Old 19-02-09, 02:05 AM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

The only other two Canadian that comes to mind other than the one Chris mentioned can be seen right here on the forum "Canadian badges 1920-1950 they are the Battleford Lt Inf. & the Pr. Albert & battleford Volunteers which is not really the true Lt. Inf. badge because it has the Pr Albert Bison head on it as well. That is the product of the amalgamation of the BLI & the Pr Albert Vols. The old HLI of course had the bugle horn on it but it wasn't the prominent feathure. Ray
Old 19-02-09, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisr View Post
From Australia.

The Victorian Rifles in the period 1903 - 1911 wore a LI bugle surmounted by a KC above the bugle cords.

The Queensland Rifles in the same period wore a French horn within a circle surmounted by a KC.

The 51st (Albert Park)) Infantry wore a LI bugle surmounted by a KC above the bugle cords and between the cords an oval enclosing the number 51 during the period post c1912 to c1918. It was the successor to the Victorian Rifles after the 1911 reforms. Not to be confused with the 51st Bn AIF.

All very rare and expensive.

That is about it. Unlike the Canadians, Australia rarely used the British designs as the basis for their badges, with the exception of some "Scottish" units, with the result they are not very attractive or eye catching designs.

Cheers
Chris

The 13th Battalion (Lachlan-Macquarie Regiment) badge from 1953 to 1960 has a Light infantry bugle on it and the collars (from memory) are opposing bugles!

Mick
Old 19-02-09, 02:19 AM

From South Africa: The Durban LI and from c1935 to the time SA became a republic The Royal Durban LI

Cheers
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Durban LI F.jpg (63.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 19-02-09, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick_mick View Post
The 13th Battalion (Lachlan-Macquarie Regiment) badge from 1953 to 1960 has a Light infantry bugle on it and the collars (from memory) are opposing bugles!

Mick
Correct Mick.

I was thinking only of badges that had the LI Bugle as the principal design of the badge. Not sure The Macquarie Regiment could be described as a Light Infantry "Bugle" badge but it certainly has a LI bugle as part of its design.

Cheers
Chris

Last edited by Chrisr; 19-02-09 at 03:02 AM.
Old 19-02-09, 03:25 AM

Here is an Indian Army one. I have no idea what regiment it is.

Cheers
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Indian Army LI.jpg (51.8 KB, 19 views)
Old 19-02-09, 07:25 AM

Thanks for all the prompt replys.

Looks like its going to be difficult to get a representative set on a limited budget.

Will have to "collect2 good reference images instead. Will keep checking the catalogues.

Gordon
Old 19-02-09, 08:21 AM

I just checked in Owen's book on SA badges and as far as South African badges go there are: Cape Mounted Rifles, SA Mounted Rifles, Durban Light Infantry, Northern Rifles, Eastern Rifles, Western Rifles, Southern Mounted Rifles, Northern Mounted Rifles, Rand Light Infantry and Witwatersrand Rifles as well as numerous old Cape units having the device in the centre of the helmet plates. All well illustrated in the book. www.southafricanmilitaria.com . Have a great day. Andrew
Old 19-02-09, 12:33 PM

chris. the indian badge is for the Maratha Light Infantry and is the post independence[and current] version. i have a few L.I. badges and they make a nice theme.regards.phil.
Old 19-02-09, 06:42 PM

Default Canadian KC bugle badges

RE light infantry regiments:

If you mean badges where the bugle is the sole or most prominent design component, as 'boots and saddles' wrote, the Battleford L.I. is about it. The Prince Albert & Battleford Volunteers, the Royal Hamilton L.I., the Highland L.I. and the Saskatoon L.I. would 'semi-qualify', as the bugle is at least a large design element. The R.H.L.I. collars are bugles only, if that counts.

If you mean badges which have bugles on them, period, add the Middlesex L.I.

And if collars only, rather than cap badges, count, the Winnipeg L.I. had 2 versions of bugle collars.

If you include any rifle regiment with a bugle on its badge, rather than just light infantry regiments, add: Royal Rifles of Canada (collars esp. are bugles only), Haldimand Rifles, Brockville Rifles, King's Own Rifles of Canada and the Halifax Rifles.

Almost all these badges are pictured on the forum's Canadian Badge Index project.

Tags
bugle, commonwealth, light infantry