British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-03-22, 11:58 AM

Hi Ralph , it was a pleasure doing business with you and I personally found you to be very courteous and professional.

While there may be case of the "collection" being historically significant and belonging in a museum it wasn't donated to one and numerous items which have in the past been donated have ended up being sold off by the museums.

As it is such an eclectic selection of badges I am sure that various collectors would be more than happy to acquire individual badges from their own specific areas.

Your eBay listing is clear about the source/history of these badges and if people are happy to buy them that is their choice , I find the "righteous indignation" strange coming from people who routinely buy/sell items which at some point in their history were possibly/probably from a "historically significant" collection.

Regarding some of the personal insults and aggresive/abusive comments in this thread , I feel it does not show this forum in a good light . Members here have asked for help identifying items then sold them on eBay without offering them to the forum first and I'm sure that (God forbid !) some of them were actually sold for a profit !

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 29-03-22, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc14 View Post
I'm a little intrigued that the seller claims (on his Ebay listings) that he "bought the books from a retiring antiques dealer"...these to me look identical to the five volumes sold by Bainbridges Autioneers in West Ruislip as lot number 178 in their sale held on the 10th March...just saying......

Paul
The auction lot was from John Clay Antiques, 263 New Kings Road, the seller bought them as an auction lot that was put up for sale by "a retiring antiques dealer" , which is what he stated in the listing.

From Twitter :
Quote:
Well folks it’s been a long journey to retirement... shop sold
Now for the stock - SALE TIME!!

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 29-03-22, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
Seriously take a hike mate.

The one part of your diatribe I agree with. It’s more than a collection. It is an historical record, an archive of what this company made and when. That is now going to be entirely lost.

Well you bought it so I can only assume you didn’t pay that and are now ripping the a** out of it to just make money.

Did you offer it to a museums? People ripping things up to sell on eBay is probably why that’s the case. 99% of these will lose their context after they’re sold and change hands which will be a loss to social history as the wider context will be gone. Have you recorded what was in the catalogues for posterity, of course not.

Please don’t play the martyr card or pretend your doing anyone other than yourself a service here.

Wooffy - No. I have never broken up a collection with historical context. Certainly never a pattern book.

We can agree to disagree.
Old 29-03-22, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
Hi Ralph , it was a pleasure doing business with you and I personally found you to be very courteous and professional.

While there may be case of the "collection" being historically significant and belonging in a museum it wasn't donated to one and numerous items which have in the past been donated have ended up being sold off by the museums.

As it is such an eclectic selection of badges I am sure that various collectors would be more than happy to acquire individual badges from their own specific areas.

Your eBay listing is clear about the source/history of these badges and if people are happy to buy them that is their choice , I find the "righteous indignation" strange coming from people who routinely buy/sell items which at some point in their history were possibly/probably from a "historically significant" collection.

Regarding some of the personal insults and aggresive/abusive comments in this thread , I feel it does not show this forum in a good light . Members here have asked for help identifying items then sold them on eBay without offering them to the forum first and I'm sure that (God forbid !) some of them were actually sold for a profit !

Hi Mike! That's a nice surprise. It was an absolute pleasure doing business with you. Thank you for your kind words.
Old 29-03-22, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
The auction lot was from John Clay Antiques, 263 New Kings Road, the seller bought them as an auction lot that was put up for sale by "a retiring antiques dealer" , which is what he stated in the listing.

From Twitter :

Thank you again, Mike. 100% right. John Clay himself was the retiring antiques dealer and an absolute gentleman, wish I could have stayed and spent some more time with him.
Old 30-03-22, 09:01 AM

I'm afraid the old 'donate to a museum' argument does not wash these days.
We've all seen museums selling off vast collections of badges & medals over the last few years, some of which they may have purchased, and some that were donated to the museums by members of the public.
My local military history museum closed it's doors despite being very popular with tourists and military enthusiasts. The council's excuse was that the fabric of the building was letting damp in that could effect the exhibits. That may have been true in parts, but generally the water ingress was in the parts that held no exhibits. Without getting political, the local Lib Dem council has allowed many historic buildings to fall into disrepair, then closed or demolished them. And as for the military museum, nobody has ever explained where all the hundreds of weapons, and literally thousands of medals ended up?
Old 20-04-22, 02:47 PM

Just a quick update on the breaking-up of collections etc.
Sometimes the auction houses break a family group of items into several Lots as in this case.
The chap in question (Roydon Newport Bean) served in the 4th Battalion The Buffs in the Second Boer War after transferring from the 1st Volunteer Battalion (The Buffs).
One of the Lots contained his medals, collar badges etc, and a large number of cloth badges. This sold for £650.00; way too rich for my blood.
Another Lot contained his shoulder titles, several cap badges (not the 4th Battalion type, just 'plain' Buffs badges), and a silver cup and life saving medal. This sold for £100.00, possibly to the same person who bought the Lot containing his medals, but who knows?
The third Lot I got with no opposing bids. This contained his binoculars, which just need the lens cleaning; two large scale maps of South Africa dated 1900, and a 'Rules' booklet for the 1st Volunteer Battalion The Buffs dated 1885. I actually bid on this Lot as I wanted the 'Rules' booklet to go with my 1st Vol Batt Buffs cap badge, so I'm pleased with this.
The maps I can get framed for displaying, and the binos can be put to practical use. Certainly if I had the funds I would have bought all three Lots as they were all Buffs related. The point is, the family obviously didn't want any of these items anymore and consigned them to auction. And the person or persons who bid on the other Lots didn't want 'my' Lot, QED another collection broken up, but it seems everyone got what they wanted.
Old 20-04-22, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

I believe that it was the 2nd Battalion of the Buffs who were in the Boer war and it was to them that the Volunteer Battalions provided an attached company to.
http://queensregimentalassociation.o...0Regiment).pdf
The 1st Bn were in India.

There was also the 3rd Battalion (former militia) who were in SA in 1900 before being sent to St Helena to guard prisoners.

There was not a 4th Battalion until 1908. It was this battalion which had the scarce 4th battalion badge although it is such a scarce badge that I do wonder whether it was on general issue in any numbers.

Alan
Old 21-04-22, 10:01 AM

Alan, yes my mistake. I misread his Attestation Papers. He transferred from 1st Vol Batt to 'The Buffs' for the Boer War, and later to the 4th Batt.
Interestingly I've only ever seen one genuine 4th Battalion cap badge in auction, and that went for around £200.00 I seem to remember. I have seen a copy being sold as a genuine badge on a well known dealers site, but when I pointed out the obvious die flaw that matches the copies being sold on eBay, I was 'ghosted' as they say these days!