British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-01-21, 03:35 AM

Default WRAC with Regimental Badges

My post about the PROVOST title brought some really great pictures of WRAC girls, and got me to wonder if they also wore the regimental badges they were associated with, like the ATS. So, decided to do some surfing on the net and see what I could find, and a brief search brought up these three pictures, so thought I would share them.

I am not able to make out what badge they are wearing, but it does look like a cap badge due to it's size. Possibly RMP as the girl on he far left seems to be wearing an RMP arm band.

No worry here - Royal Artillery collar, and seems to be worn along the seam line at an angle as many ATS girls did.

This picture is captioned as being taken Sept. 9. 1960, and again Royal Artillery collar.

Hopefully others might have pictures they cn add to this thread because such pictures serve as a great reference.

Terry
Old 27-01-21, 05:59 AM

Terry, 1st picture - While the cap badge is WRAC, the breast badge appears to be the Queen's Regt. The lady with the arm band could be attached RMP or Regimental police (RP) but cannot make out the breast badge.
Jerry

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 27-01-21, 07:07 AM

E
Quote:
Originally Posted by engr9266 View Post
Terry, 1st picture - While the cap badge is WRAC, the breast badge appears to be the Queen's Regt. The lady with the arm band could be attached RMP or Regimental police (RP) but cannot make out the breast badge.
Jerry
I think the far left is the Queens Regt . Although the image isnt very sharp. She is definitely an "RP" .Armband red letters on black.
An RMP armband is black letters on red.
The 2nd left is also an RP, her breast badge also appears to be Queens Regt.
Didn't WRAC RMPs wear the red cap even before they were assimilated into the Corps when the WRAC disbanded ?
Old 27-01-21, 08:42 AM

Hi Terry,

I can't see your pictures for some reason but as far as I'm aware they wore the WRAC cap badge with a collar badge of the unit they were attached to on their chest.

The RMP girls wore WRAC cap badges in the standard green beret in training then switched to the red hat or beret when they passed out with the WRAC cap badge and an RMP collar badge in their unifom, as far as the armband goes they wore the same one as the men.

Michael

Last edited by Shiny; 27-01-21 at 09:20 AM.
Old 27-01-21, 09:03 AM

Default 1st photo

Fourth WRAC is wearing a different cap badge. Can't make out medal on right side?? St John's ambulance. She is also wearing one collar badge? Also third one looks like she has a white epaulette
Bob

Last edited by bobanodised; 27-01-21 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Missed sentence
Old 27-01-21, 09:06 AM

Agree badge is the Queens -Terry have a few spare if you want a free be
David
Old 27-01-21, 09:11 AM

Any ideas on the medal worn in the same photo, St Johns Ambulance award perhaps?

Simon
Old 27-01-21, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawthorn View Post
Any ideas on the medal worn in the same photo, St Johns Ambulance award perhaps?

Simon
Yes thats actually the interesting part. It looks like a Regimental medal. I know the KRH and the QOY have regimental medals. Cannot think of other regiments off the top of my head. More unusual in corps though.
Old 27-01-21, 11:40 AM

I found it all interesting
Old 27-01-21, 12:07 PM

When I was an Instructor at The Guards Depot the WRAC serving there wore a Staybrite 'Septum Juncta in Uno' star shaped badge on both the tunic and jersey as opposed to any of the Guards Regimental badges or Stars.

Simon.
Old 27-01-21, 03:05 PM

This one.

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:26 PM.
Old 27-01-21, 03:24 PM

The first photograph is almost certainly related to the 6th/7th (Volunteer) Battalion of the Queen’s Regiment. From roughly 1975 until around 1993 most TA infantry Battalions were either NATO roled or Home Defence roled. Those designated Home Defence had an integral WRAC Platoon whereas NATO roled Battalions didn’t . The members of the WRAC platoons wore WRAC cap badge but also wore the cap badge of their parent regiment as a breast badge in Number 2 dress uniform
PL
Old 27-01-21, 05:36 PM

Some very interesting observations. I was able to enlarge the first picture and can add some clarification.

Both girls on the left are wearing a black armband.

The girl in the center has a white stripe on her shoulder strap.

Interesting about the girl with the medal, wearing it on her right chest. Being on a black and white ribbon does make one think it is SJA, but a quick check of SJA medals does not reveal any with a 3 stripe ribbon like that. The SJA service medal is 5 stripes - b/w/b/w/b . Enlarging the picture, her medal only seems to be 3 stripes - w/b/w.

What does "RP" stand for re the armband?

Terry
Old 27-01-21, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post
Some very interesting observations. I was able to enlarge the first picture and can add some clarification.

Both girls on the left are wearing a black armband.

The girl in the center has a white stripe on her shoulder strap.

Interesting about the girl with the medal, wearing it on her right chest. Being on a black and white ribbon does make one think it is SJA, but a quick check of SJA medals does not reveal any with a 3 stripe ribbon like that. The SJA service medal is 5 stripes - b/w/b/w/b . Enlarging the picture, her medal only seems to be 3 stripes - w/b/w.

What does "RP" stand for re the armband?

Terry
Terry.

RP = Regimental Police

Steve
Old 27-01-21, 06:22 PM

The lady wearing the medal on her right is also wearing collar badges (one is visible) also the cap badge may not be WRAC (better image needed). It could be that she is an Instructor at the WRAC College Camberley which before 1984 was the training establishment for all WRAC Officers. Therefore the medal may be something to do with Camberley.

Marc