British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Royal Canadian Navy

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-06-10, 11:02 AM

Default Royal Canadian Naval Commandos

Hi, Can anyone tell me what insignia the Royal Canadian Naval Commandos wore? I believe they wore the combined operations badge with a shoulder title bearing CANADA and I think a title below bearing COMMANDO? were these in red on black or white on black? also did they wear their normal red on black trade and rank badges as did the British RN Commandos?

Regards Tony
Old 17-06-10, 12:08 PM

Hello Tony,hopefully these photographs may help.
Jo
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...oviqqavs023t31

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 17-06-10, 12:20 PM

Thats really great! many thanks

Regards Tony
Old 17-06-10, 12:39 PM

Happy to help.
Cheers.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 17-06-10, 04:08 PM

Hi, as far as i know trade badges were never worn with combined ops, the only other badges worn were titles, rank and good conduct stripes.
fez
Old 18-06-10, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fez View Post
Hi, as far as i know trade badges were never worn with combined ops, the only other badges worn were titles, rank and good conduct stripes.
fez
Mmm, pretty sure I have seen a picture of an RN Comms rating wearing a comms branch badge below a combined ops badge, but not sure where I saw it, but will post it if I find it! My memory could be wrong though!

Have seen badges used in unusual places before, and have seen pictures of a naval rating using a cut down combined ops badge as a cap badge on a green beret (or maroon, it was in black and white) and an RN comms rating serving with 148 Commando, Forward Observation Battery, using a cut down red on black comms branch badge as a cap badge on his green beret!

Regards Tony
Old 18-06-10, 10:51 AM

Hello Tony,
The photo is in this thread.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ead.php?t=7707

There is a WWII green beret with a cut down CO Badge in the IWM London. Don’t have a photo handy at the moment. Can dig it out later if you want to see it along with the details of the person who wore it.

Interesting to hear about the post war comms badge being worn on the beret as well. I was told there is a photo of something similar in an old RN recruiting brochure. Have not seen it though.

Regards

Danny
Old 18-06-10, 12:06 PM

Default Royal Canadian Naval Commandos

Hi Danny, It was in an old RN recruiting brochure that I saw it! Have tried posting on various naval forums to see if I could find someone who has a copy of it but with no luck!

Would certainly love to see pictures of the combined ops badge being used as a cap badge!

Just checked out the link and you are right!, glad to see my memory is still pretty reliable!

Regards Tony
Old 18-06-10, 01:26 PM

I dont pretend to know all and am verey interested to learn more about patch combinations. I saw a pic of a Navy commando wearing his silver MS/AS badge on his BD cuff. Are there any dress regs available ? Was combined ops only worn by commando trained or by attached personel as well ?? I know there are always exceptions, i wore alsorts on my deserts, including Danish Nato.
Fez
Old 19-06-10, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fez View Post
I dont pretend to know all and am verey interested to learn more about patch combinations. I saw a pic of a Navy commando wearing his silver MS/AS badge on his BD cuff. Are there any dress regs available ? Was combined ops only worn by commando trained or by attached personel as well ?? I know there are always exceptions, i wore alsorts on my deserts, including Danish Nato.
Fez
I'm sure there are other people on here who know far more than me on this sunject and will inform you further, but not all combined operations personnel were commando trained! in fact the commandos were only one part of the combined ops set up, for instance landing craft coxswains were mostly not commando trained and in square rig wore the combined ops badge on their cuff!

Really interesting what you said about the pic of the naval commando wearing the naval patrol service badge as well, would love to see this, to date I've never actually seen a pic of a patrol service badge being worn!

Regards Tony
Old 19-06-10, 03:30 PM

Last edited by jranrose; 30-09-14 at 07:36 PM.
Old 19-06-10, 03:34 PM

Last edited by jranrose; 30-09-14 at 07:37 PM.
Old 20-06-10, 06:50 PM

Hello Tony,
Below is a photo of the beret on display at the IWM, London.

Caption to this item says that it was worn by a R. Maitland-Flanagan a Royal Navy Diver attached to the SBS and other Special Forces in the Aegean and Adriatic Seas

Regards

Danny

Beret CO Badge.JPG
Old 20-06-10, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Hello Tony,
Below is a photo of the beret on display at the IWM, London.

Caption to this item says that it was worn by a R. Maitland-Flanagan a Royal Navy Diver attached to the SBS and other Special Forces in the Aegean and Adriatic Seas

Regards

Danny

Attachment 26735
Cheers for that danny, that really is excellent, many thanks

Regards Tony
Old 22-06-10, 03:22 AM

Default WWII RCN Beach Commando 'W'

Here is a WWII image of a RCN Beach Commando 'W' with the Combined Operations and RCN Trades badges on British BD.