British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-11-16, 03:00 PM

Default Heeresgeschichtliches Museum, Vienna

I cannot see that the Forum has a specific section for Museums, so I have inserted this topic in the Other military Topics section.

I was blessed whilst on a trip to Croatia & Austria during October, to have been able to spend a morning in the Heeresgeschichtliches Museum in the city of Vienna. This is an absolutely SUPERB museum exhibiting a great variety of artifacts from the military history of Austria & primarily during the Hapsburg dynasty.

Being a naval collector I was primarily interested in the K und K Marine (Imperial & Royal Navy), but I was able to view the Great War displays & particularly the Sarejevo display, these being located on the main(ground) floor. I did not have the time to get up to the second level, perhaps next time!
You would require at least the full day to view the entire building.

The museum is very large, being housed in what was once the Arsenal of the K u K monarchy. Construction commenced in 1848. The museum survived both world wars but sustained considerable damage from bombing during
2WW. Complete rebuilding commenced in 1946, many of the exhibits being redesign & reworked to what they appear today.
To quote from the catalogue: "the collection exhibited in the main building, which has kept its character as a total work of art up to the present day, portrays about 500 years of Austrian & European history, and thousands of original and unique objects shown represent an integral part of the cultural heritage of the world."

The displays were stunning & I was able to take many photos.
I would like to share some of the photos I took of the exhibits I viewed & I will try to add photos as time goes on...

Please enjoy!
Bryan

Firstoff, a view of the outside of the Museum:

There are two long side halls leading off from the main building:
Old 07-11-16, 03:13 PM

View from the entrance into the Hall of the Commanders, featuring 56 life size marble statues of Austrian Army Commanders. On either side of this main hall branch off the two long halls on both floors:

Old 07-11-16, 03:37 PM

Thanks for this Bryan. It looks very impressive. Can't wait to see the rest of your photos.

Ian
The day the government succeeds in taking away our dress uniforms, badges and colours, and all the so called "non-functional" items; they will find themselves with an army that cannot defend them. Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"
Old 07-11-16, 06:36 PM

Thank you Ian, appreciate your interest.
I have many photos but it will tak me some time, & as my time permits, to gradually upload them.

Bryan

Looking down one of the long hallways leading to the display area:
Old 07-11-16, 06:42 PM

K und K Cavalry Uniforms of the 29th century period, these uniforms were very very impressive!

Shooting thru glass to try to avoid the lighting reflection is a challenge but I think these two shots came out very well. With a few shots I got lucky!

Old 07-11-16, 09:22 PM

Great photographs hope to visit one day

Sincerely

Stephen