British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-02-20, 12:54 PM

Default Jewish Chaplain anodised cap badge

Hi Gents,
When I first started collecting anodised badges many years ago, the Jewish Chaplain's cap badge was probably the hardest & most sort after anodised aluminium badge to find.

Now sadly, they appear quite plentiful on e bay with many dealers offering them quite cheaply in high numbers.

Many of these, have I suspect been made in more recent times even though the British Army probably hasn't had a Jewish Chaplain in 30 years?
Possibly old stocks come to the forefront or manufacturers reproducing them more recently for the collectors market?

Anyway the point of this post is that I have a few variants of this badge and have come across another one to share with other anodised aluminium collectors - this one I think I really quite like!

The badge below is the first Jewish Chaplains badge I have come across which is not completely flat backed. It is also a nice chunky badge possibly circa 60's or 70's judging by the amount of aluminium used to make it (see Hagwalthers book).
it also shows a bit of "wear" on the domed shape central device in the centre of the badge.

This badge was found amongst an early collection of anodised badges I purchased from an "advanced" collection of which there were a few early items.
Opinions welcomed.
Many Thanks
Colin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 038.jpg (105.2 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 039.jpg (84.1 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 042.jpg (46.8 KB, 29 views)
Old 07-02-20, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

https://smartgiving.org.uk/images/ev...32b70ca088.png

A recent photo of a jewish chaplain but with cloth beret badge.
Old 07-02-20, 02:48 PM

The flat backed one you mention. Very similar construction, although appears thinner. This one does show possible signs of wear. The blades have definitely been opened and closed (if you see what I mean).

Nice find Colin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200207_144006.jpg (97.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 20200207_143958.jpg (89.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 20200207_144357.jpg (67.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20200207_143905.jpg (52.9 KB, 46 views)
Old 07-02-20, 04:40 PM

Hi Sean,
Thanks for that.
I think your Jewish Chaplains badge is good it looks vary similar to the first badge I have taken pictures of.
Here are the other variant Jewish Chaplain badges I have

1. Jewish Chaplain bladed badge - looks very similar to yours.
imo this badge is good

2. Jewish Chaplains lugged badge
I like this one too!

3. Jewish Chaplain bladed badge.
Not sure!

No3 is i.m.o a modern badge in recent years quite a prolific badge on e bay.
It is cut from a different die to all the other badges. I will show on this post the difference around the crown/wreath area where there are voids with photo shop.
I have reservations on whether this badge is the real deal?

Anybody else got any different A/A Jewish Chaplain badges.
Regards
Colin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 045.jpg (93.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 046.jpg (54.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 047.jpg (99.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 048.jpg (67.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 049.jpg (104.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 050.jpg (51.7 KB, 26 views)
Old 07-02-20, 07:22 PM

Christian Chaplain on lugs. I suspect these could be earlier examples. The lugs are very small thin wire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200207_185932.jpg (57.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20200207_185924.jpg (64.4 KB, 22 views)
Old 08-02-20, 04:46 PM

Hello All

A few pictures below of a Jewish chaplain's badge that I obtained through the official stores system before I left the services. A rare badge made even rarer by the fact that when I received it there were 2 badges inside the sealed packaging. The badge is Firmin made but not maker marked, the back is domed in the centre and the blades are situated quite high up on the back. Clearly marked on the front of the packaging as an officer's cap badge and the quantity as 1. Dated 18/05/07.

Paddy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8144.jpg (72.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8147.jpg (66.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8148.jpg (49.9 KB, 20 views)
Old 08-02-20, 05:10 PM

There is/was also an issued Silver/Gilt/Enamel Coloured OSD Cap & Collar Badges for Jewish Chaplin's for use in No1 Dress Cap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jewish.JPG (10.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Chirstian.JPG (10.8 KB, 11 views)

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 08-02-20, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbrits View Post
Hi Gents,
When I first started collecting anodised badges many years ago, the Jewish Chaplain's cap badge was probably the hardest & most sort after anodised aluminium badge to find.

Now sadly, they appear quite plentiful on e bay with many dealers offering them quite cheaply in high numbers.

Many of these, have I suspect been made in more recent times even though the British Army probably hasn't had a Jewish Chaplain in 30 years?
Possibly old stocks come to the forefront or manufacturers reproducing them more recently for the collectors market?

Anyway the point of this post is that I have a few variants of this badge and have come across another one to share with other anodised aluminium collectors - this one I think I really quite like!

The badge below is the first Jewish Chaplains badge I have come across which is not completely flat backed. It is also a nice chunky badge possibly circa 60's or 70's judging by the amount of aluminium used to make it (see Hagwalthers book).
it also shows a bit of "wear" on the domed shape central device in the centre of the badge.

This badge was found amongst an early collection of anodised badges I purchased from an "advanced" collection of which there were a few early items.
Opinions welcomed.
Many Thanks
Colin
Hi Colin,

When I first started studying A/A cap badges it very soon became apparent that the Jewish Chaplains cap badge was as rare as the proverbial rocking horse sh..

I eventually managed to find one in a packet and that is the one shown in my book. As the years went by they started showing up everywhere. Cadet Direct at one stage had 10 for sale.

I believe that most of the ones around now are ex-Canadian forces who used the same badge made by Firmin. However, I have no idea how many were commissioned by Canada if indeed any actually were.

Also, LB&B and TKS will make badges for anyone these days and it is more than possible that dealers got onto these companies to make a nice little earner.

Regards,

Chris
Old 08-02-20, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_2817 View Post
There is/was also an issued Silver/Gilt/Enamel Coloured OSD Cap & Collar Badges for Jewish Chaplin's for use in No1 Dress Cap.
Hi Mike,

The modern Jewish Chaplains badge is Army Dress Committee authorised but Army Chaplains Department aquired. i.e. it is held by the Chaplains themselves and is not issued ex-stores. It has no NSN nor pattern No for it.

I have correponded extensively with Colonel M Newman, chairman of Jewish Committee for HM Forces on this subject and about the reasons why the badge was aquired by the Chaplains themselves.

Most of the Jewish Chaplains regalia was acquired from eBay and refurbished. However, TKS were approached for the cap badge. This is marked TOYE UK WWW.TOYE.COM (Over two lines).

Example is shown below comes from the most reliable of sources. From the initial batch by TKS (number unfortunately not known but possibly just 50) TKS kept a number for sale to collectors. I noticed one for sale a few months ago and posted a 'heads up' on the forum. I think it sold for 20GBP.

I was also informed that TKS may also have commissioned a second batch of 100 but this is speculation. The dies were then lost.

Any other versions to the one shown are therefore 'knock offs' even if marked by TKS and are most certainly not ex Chaplain's dept who, post their initial order, would have no reason to commission any further examples of this item.

Regards,

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NMY05.jpg (55.9 KB, 29 views)
Old 08-02-20, 09:10 PM

Hi Sean, Paddy, Chris,
Thanks for your comments. Paddy, Excellent Firmin sealed packet with the domed centre makes me know i.ve got a good 'un for sure.

Chris's comments about the recent Cadet Direct Jewish Chaplain's badges are valid as I suspect badge No3 on my comments in post No4 is I expect one of them!
Regards
Colin
Old 08-02-20, 10:08 PM

Thanks Chris for your comments, Odd as I have seen reference to Gilt Collar Badges in JSP as well as Black OSD but as you say no badge!

There is a TKS UK gilt example on ebay for £60 at the moment
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chaplains Collar.JPG (46.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Capture 2.JPG (45.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Capture 3.JPG (42.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Capture 4.JPG (42.7 KB, 19 views)

Wanted Poppy Pins

Last edited by Mike_2817; 08-02-20 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-02-20, 09:51 AM

It seems Jewish chaplains badges are in the JSP. Whilst it certainly appears that for some reason the gilt and enamel cap badge is not available directly from stores, it appears that Colonel Newman may well be able to demand at least Jewish Chaplains collars and the black anodised cap badge?

Incidentally, has anyone else noticed the firmin bag error on Paddys bag in post 6 and my one in post 3. On the bag nomenclature is described as RADC . . . . .

Last edited by bess55; 09-02-20 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 09-02-20, 10:28 AM

Good spot. Maybe it was a proposed merger of the 2 corps......

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 09-02-20, 11:29 AM

Default My Jewish bullion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
https://smartgiving.org.uk/images/ev...32b70ca088.png

A recent photo of a jewish chaplain but with cloth beret badge.
Hi,
My example of a Jewish beret badge.
Eddie

Last edited by eddie; 26-12-20 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-02-20, 11:41 AM

Default Letter 1983

Hi,
Letter from the Chaplains department requesting a Jewish capbadge, as a kid I would write to every quartermaster in the British Army.
Cheers,
Eddie

Last edited by eddie; 26-12-20 at 08:14 PM.