British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-09-15, 12:41 PM

Default KORR Glengarry Badges

Would value any opinions on the Left-Hand Badge I have recently purchased rather cheaply.
It does seem to me to be a genuine badge although the lugs 'which are brass' are E-W (maker variation or wrong) and weighs in at 15g whilst the other is 12g
There is what seems to be some traces of gilding to the rear.
For comparison is a polished example I picked up from bosleys last sale.
If ok I just have to make a decision which one to keep and the other will probably be traded
Thanks
Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (68.3 KB, 57 views)
Old 22-09-15, 12:41 PM

Rear of badges
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (78.4 KB, 49 views)
Old 23-09-15, 07:46 AM

Hi Paul
Thank you for showing us your badges and for the details you gave. Unfortunately there are a number of fakes/repros of this badge on the market and sadly I think this is one of them. Usually the front of these doesnt look too bad at first sight (as indeed yours does). What gives them away is the back and the weight.
As I suspect you have already realised, the E-W lugs raise the first doubts (tho' this does not always indicate a fake). But the "blotchy" detail (or should I say lack of detail) on the reverse is highly suspect, and the rather heavy weight finally condems it in my opinion. Sorry.
Regarding the Bosley badge ; I feel it is a great pity it has been polished like that as this has removed the pleasing patina that it should have had. Regards. Jeff
Old 23-09-15, 09:24 AM

Thank you Jeff for your comments and advice which I will certainly take on board if I come across another that may improve on the polished one.
I took a punt and have come out with no great loss and as you say there are lots of fakes out there though my hopes were with the brass lugs which is something I thought that copies of glengarry badges did not have.
Regards
Paul
Old 23-09-15, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Spellman View Post
Thank you Jeff for your comments and advice which I will certainly take on board if I come across another that may improve on the polished one.
I took a punt and have come out with no great loss and as you say there are lots of fakes out there though my hopes were with the brass lugs which is something I thought that copies of glengarry badges did not have.
Regards
Paul
Hi again Paul
Hmm ... brass lugs... that's interesting. My verdict was based on the information and the photos that you originally posted (I misunderstood re the brass lugs) but in any case is only my opinion (for what its worth) tho' I must say, the patina on the front looked good. But the "blotchyness" and lack of detail on the reverse was a "turn-off" for me. I take it the badge from Bosleys had brass lugs ?
The weight you gave for it (viz 15g) is only slightly above the average figures that I have (ie 12g to 14g = 13g) whereas most die-cast fakes are well above this.
Attached is an image from my book which was part of my collection many years ago (no reverse I'm afraid as I didn't regard this as important at the time .... big mistake !) Anyway it might be a good idea to wait and see what others on the forum have to say, and possibly ask Bosleys or Spink what they think before you decide to part with it. Needless to say I shall be very interested to hear how things go on this one. Regards. Jeff.

4.G1.jpg

Last edited by Jeff Mc William; 23-09-15 at 12:25 PM.
Old 23-09-15, 07:11 PM

Thanks again Jeff,
Yes the bosleys one does have brass lugs and to be honest that is the first thing I look for on these badges, I think I will send an image to bosleys or spink and let you know of any outcome.
Paul