British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-02-20, 10:02 AM

Default MK1 tank badge, help

Hello

have you seen this insignia before ?
does not seem to be english...

thanks for answers
cordially
Didier
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-02-20, 10:16 AM

Hi
To me it looks like a patriotic badge ,probably French or american rather than army insignia.
Regards
Steve
Old 08-02-20, 02:33 PM

Lokks a British MkV with rails and unditching beam.
Old 09-02-20, 10:23 AM

Hello

thank you !

Didier
Old 10-02-20, 02:51 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

G'day Just

As Magpie has said it looks like a Mk 5 tank. However the 4 that I have are different to the one that you show.

Mine are as follows
1 A very flat badge with a "turret" above the barrel and with an L on the side of the gun with little other detail. This is on a brass backing plate with a black felt backing and 2 lugs and a cotter pin.
2 A much more detailed badge, one in brass with a small turret above the barrel and 2 lugs on the back, also a 2nd in bronze with 2 blades.
3 A different design with the gun placed further to the rear and with a shorter barrel, and a more simplified detail on the sides of the tank. However there are 2 quite prominent tracks on the front/right end of the tank. This badge has a brass backing plate and 2 lugs and a cotter pin.

All of these are different to yours in that they do not have the "ground" below the body of the tank and extra detail on the top of the tanks body,none have the pin fixing that yours has.

This said, yours could still be a 4th variety of the tank crewman's badge with the ground added and the extra detail on the top of the tanks body.

Regards

Phil.
Old 10-02-20, 01:39 PM

"All of these are different to yours in that they do not have the "ground" below the body of the tank and extra detail on the top of the tanks body,none have the pin fixing that yours has."

My thought was that the pin fastening is one of the major reasons to think it a civilian / souvenir piece rather than an issue badge. My tuppence worth.
Old 11-02-20, 02:14 AM

Hi

I recall seeing a very similar badge on eBay that had the base scroll "TANKS" with blue enamel filled. It was also pin-backed.

My feeling is that this one was a Mk 1 (with the "steering tail" attached).

Anyone else see this? It was listed by a fairly prolific seller who lists dozens of goodish (?) items at some fairly hefty figures but they rarely seem to sell...

I'd be going with this one being one of those "souvenir" badges, sold post-war along with those wee plated bayonets and "trench art" shell cases.
Old 11-02-20, 06:45 AM

Hello

thanks everybody !!

Didier
Old 11-02-20, 10:19 AM

Yes they also came with a scroll below , as stated it's private purchase sweetheart badge , not military insignia .
Cheers
Steve