British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Headdress

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-11-15, 01:27 AM

Default More Glengarries ,WW1 Cameronians, Royal Scots Fusiliers etc

WW1 Cameronians and Royal Scots Fusiliers both with leather edge trim. These have waxed cotton linings and the original badges to them . The Black Watch badge and maybe Tyneside Scottish badge has been added later. These latter two are most probably interwar or later. Though im still confused as to when the current style material trim dates from !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3932.jpg (57.5 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3934.jpg (56.3 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3935.jpg (101.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3937.jpg (55.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3936.jpg (90.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3939.jpg (53.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3942.jpg (75.5 KB, 35 views)
Old 24-11-15, 02:18 AM

Is there anyway to date Glengarries? I have a couple, one with a leather trim one without. One came with a Tyneside Scottish badge but not sure if it is correct? Nice collection BTW!
Old 24-11-15, 05:32 PM

Hi Chaps
its very difficult to date glengarrys unless they have exceptance stamps , makers marks and lables etc Rob has shown above a WWI period exceptance stamp or whats left of it which you can be farly sure that its pre 1920 and is genrally ecepted as bing a WWI example you can not go by the fact that it has a leather trim these where in us right up and into the 30's I have one listed on my web site which has a 30's regt number in it and its a leather trim example .
WWI exceptance stamps have the district code below the arrow and the inspecters number above where as WWII inspectors stamps have the Date letter code above the aroow and the inspectors number below post 1958 ( off the top of my head ) the inspectors stamp changed to a arrow followed by the inspectors number which can be a 3 or 4 digit number ) all of these are oftern washed out through use so you turn to matrials used in there constuction which is not easy at all as they did not change much untill the mid sixties . hope this helps steve

MINE
The answers are out there its a mater of doing the detective work to get them !

Tags
black watch, cameronians, royal scots, tyneside scottish, ww1 glengarries