British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-12-17, 09:37 AM

Default Regimental Buttons of the 95th Rifles

Two original 95th Rifles buttons from the Napoleonic Wars are known to exist. One was found in Spain and the other in the UK. Does anyone know the current whereabouts of these two buttons?
Old 23-12-17, 12:26 PM

Hello

I don't have a definitive answer to your question I'm afraid but recently a lot of reproduction 95th Rifles buttons have started to appear on ebay (sold as reproductions I hasten to add, although some have appeared claiming to be originals). The listing mentioned how these reproductions came about (produced by/for the 2/95th Rifles Re-enactment Society) and provided some further information and a link which might be helpful to you.

That listing can be found here - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reproduct...AAAOSwHoFXvImb

Just as an aside, I find it difficult to believe that there are only 2 of these genuine buttons known to exist! Seems a remarkably small number.

Roger
Old 23-06-18, 05:52 PM

It says on the ebay page they have now been found on 11 sites so even my poor maths says there must be more than 2 known examples.

I picked this replica one up today at a car boot sale, not sure if its an "official" copy or a copy, hopefully they are too poor to ever fool anyone.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 95th1.jpg (32.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 95th2.jpg (53.1 KB, 32 views)
Old 23-06-18, 06:18 PM

Hi Rob

It does look as if you have a copy of the 'original' reproduction 95th button or at least one made from another source! The repros sold on ebay as such some time ago (not sure if they are still available or not) were better finished than the one you show. I have a couple somewhere but can't lay my hands on them at the moment.

I have since seen these sold as original, period, 95th buttons, so the 'originals' at least are good enough to fool some people.

Roger
Old 08-07-18, 12:35 PM

Default 95th button

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Puttees View Post
Two original 95th Rifles buttons from the Napoleonic Wars are known to exist. One was found in Spain and the other in the UK. Does anyone know the current whereabouts of these two buttons?
Hello

I was just looking to see if there were anymore 95th buttons around and saw your message. I found and own the button that was found in England.
Old 08-07-18, 12:40 PM

Hello
I was just looking to see if any other 95th buttons are around and saw your message. I found and own the button that was found in England.
Old 19-06-20, 09:31 PM

I assume this is another fake on ebay, the description "used, very good" and "very good condition" isn't telling the whole story.

Rob

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-A...53.m1438.l2649
Old 20-06-20, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miller View Post
I assume this is another fake on ebay, the description "used, very good" and "very good condition" isn't telling the whole story.

Rob

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-A...53.m1438.l2649
Yes, it is the repro button. I recorded them when they were first offered.
They are exact copies of the button shown on page 182 of Botones de Uniforme (or that one is a copy as well)