British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-07-16, 07:42 PM

Default Uncommon Parachute Regiment cap badge

I believe this is one of the scarcer pattern WW2 Parachute Regiment cap badges. It is a pattern that seems to be overlooked by some collectors. Perhaps some members disagree that it is genuine?

I would be grateful for members comments particularly Alan O, as I seem to remember an old thread where he showed an example that had been in his family since WW2.

This example seems to have traces of maroon fibres around one lug which is possibly from a beret that has rotted away.

Thanks in advance.
Jack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9877.jpg (90.5 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9879.jpg (102.4 KB, 110 views)
Old 22-07-16, 08:36 PM

Hello Jack,

Could you explain me what is uncommon in this badge ?

Best regards .. Herve
Old 22-07-16, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by half12 View Post
Hello Jack,

Could you explain me what is uncommon in this badge ?

Best regards .. Herve
Hi Herve,

It is uncommon because it is not as widely seen for sale as others. There are three differing patterns of badges that people usually associate with WW2. One is the Gaunt pattern with the die flaw blobs, another is the voided crown pattern and the other type has slightly smaller curved wing feathers. These three are fairly widely seen for sale on eBay and with dealers.

This particular pattern I have shown is different when closely compared to the other more commonly known examples that I've mentioned. In particular the crown and lion are of a different pattern, the chute rigging is different and the curved wing feathers are different.

Hope this helps.

Jack
Old 23-07-16, 08:18 AM

Hello Jack,

Thanks ... I will dig in my box to have a look on mine ...

Best regards .. Herve
Old 23-07-16, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

This was my grandfather's badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P7230018.jpg (32.8 KB, 109 views)
Old 23-07-16, 10:29 AM

Nice to have your grandfather's badge Alan.

Below is a link to another example in our member Stuart's public album on here;

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=75429

All the examples I have seen have 'D' shaped lugs although there is some variation in their positioning.

Jack
Old 25-07-16, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
This was my grandfather's badge.
The first thing that struck me was that the crown wasn't placed quite centrally on the canopy.
Old 25-07-16, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMEVMBEA1 View Post
The first thing that struck me was that the crown wasn't placed quite centrally on the canopy.
It's not something that I had noticed. What is your view on the badge, if you collect Airborne insignia would you add one to your collection?

It concerns me that some badges are overlooked by collectors. Regarding the WW2 Parachute Regiment cap badges there appears to a lot of interest in the voided crown pattern which is being touted by dealers and some collectors as the first example issued, but is it, where is the proof? This has lead in my opinion to some of the ridiculous prices that have been achieved recently for these badges on eBay and dealers websites. For what it's worth my opinion is that the Gaunt pattern badges are more likely to have been the first ones because they are identical to the hallmarked silver ones produced by Gaunt with the earliest date letter being S which is 1942/43.

My only interest is furthering the hobby which is why I posted this badge to try and provoke some discussion about it.

I believe it is a genuine WW2 example, so apart from Alan O, do other collectors on here believe it is?

Jack