British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-05-20, 02:59 PM

Default Transport medal with China clasp

I have discovered that one of my ancestors who was a captain in the merchant navy was awarded a medal by the King in 1900, called the Transport Medal with China clasp, for transporting British troops to China at the time of the Boxer rebellion. Unfortunately the medal was lost, it went to the bottom when his ship the Satara was sunk off New South Wales in 1910 after hitting a reef. Does anyone know where I could obtain a replacement?
Old 16-05-20, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Paul, welcome to the British & Commonwealth Badge Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
Your request is a bit outside the focus of the Forum, but there may be members who can assist you.
Old 16-05-20, 09:10 PM

You could try contacting the Generral Secretary of the Orders and Medals Research Society who may know who you can contact.
https://omrs.org/contact
Dave
Old 17-05-20, 02:32 PM

Replicas including miniatures turn up for sale on various web sites but they always seem to have the South Africa rather than the China clasp

(eg this eBay offering. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replica-C...c-651b25b458e0 ).
Old 18-05-20, 10:10 AM

Thanks Dave, will do.
Old 26-05-20, 04:39 PM

As a medal collector I can tell you that theTransport Medal with the China clasp is pretty rare and expensive. Atleast 1000 GBP I think. Are you absolutely sure the medal was lost? I don't think you will get a replacement for it, but best to put this up on the British Medal Forum. Folks there will be able to guide you better. I collect only Indian medals as this is not really up my street.