British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-08-16, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engr9266 View Post
Quote-the Falklands were more or less a Parachute Regiment and Royal Marine Commando operation. Not forgetting the Guards or the Gurkhas-unquote
What about the support service's RE, REME, ACC, RAOC, SAS, BLUES & ROYALS, NAVY, RAF ETC. Do I need to go on?? Without them I don't think the others would have done such a great job.
I also notice no mention of 29 (Commando) Regt RA. As ex REME who spent a lot of my 15 years service with the RA all I can say is Ubique and Arte et Marte. Unfortunately the media , and many in this group, seem to be obsessed with Special Forces. The gunners and the line infantry regiments have always been the backbone of the British army ably supported by the RAC.
Old 27-08-16, 12:53 PM

Default War by any other name??

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMO View Post
Darling girlfriend just mentioned a point its not the FALKLANDS WAR it was a conflict ??? its only a war if Britain declared war is this true ????
Michael,

The way I see it, when two groups of soldiers try to blast each other to kingdom come, advance, take and hold ground, plant a flag and dare any and all to come and try to take it back; then that is war, no matter what the rear echelon pointy heads try to label it.

Just like Korea was a "Police Action"? Talk to the Gloucesters. And the PPCLI, The RCR and the VanDoos. And the Americans in the Pusan perimeter.

Ian
The day the government succeeds in taking away our dress uniforms, badges and colours, and all the so called "non-functional" items; they will find themselves with an army that cannot defend them. Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"
Old 27-08-16, 02:13 PM

Ken,

If you could do mate that would be fantastic...

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy Ken View Post
Unknownsoldier,

I can send you a list that we held as a "Corps" RCT of which all soldiers would be expected to carry in the event of war (BAOR) this was standard CES (Combat Equipment Schedule) for Germany. And trust me it was actually "STANDARD" equipment for the British Soldier in the 1980's, whether in Germany, NI or Falklands.

The RAPC would have been no different from the RCT, Airborne or Normal.

Ken (The Fatboy)
Old 27-08-16, 02:16 PM

Thanks mate, most appreciated

He ended up with SAM+Rosette, and LSGC, that was it.... It was an interesting guy to chat to, got his number, but it appears he gave me a dud :/

Although via him, I looked up one of my medals and found the guy is now a UKIP candidate for Wales :O

Best,
Tom

Quote:
HI ,I will dig around and see what I can find in my lock up, yes military history did a feature on Falklands british kit but the absolute best was I think done in ` RAIDS` magazine they did a superb thread on uniforms and equipment fully color photo recreations just like what the french `militaria` magazine style BUT with respect I dont think it was their magazine ?? may be wrong .

Never new A.P.C ` Went south` on the operation ? bit obvious really - soldiers need paying infact I think that would make an interesting story who held the money , how much there was , where was it stored ??? be a nice medal group too .....
Old 29-08-16, 10:34 AM

Default For FBK and all former "Jam Stealers". Just a mention.

The Corps of Royal Waggoners, The Royal Waggon Corps, The Royal Waggon Train, The Land Transport Corps, The Military Train, The Army Service Corps, The Commissariat and Transport Corps, The Army Service Corps (second time), The Royal Army Service Corps, The Royal Corps of Transport. NIL SINE LABORE.

Last edited by Hoot; 29-08-16 at 01:10 PM.
Old 29-08-16, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engr9266 View Post
Quote-the Falklands were more or less a Parachute Regiment and Royal Marine Commando operation. Not forgetting the Guards or the Gurkhas-unquote
What about the support service's RE, REME, ACC, RAOC, SAS, BLUES & ROYALS, NAVY, RAF ETC Do I need to go on?? Without them I don't think the others would have done such a great job.
I did include a ETC as I would have been all night if I have written down every single cap badge that supported the those other two.

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 29-08-16, 02:10 PM

Hiya Hoot,

Here is the full list of history of the Transport Corps of the British Army

The Corps of Waggoners / The Royal Waggoners 1794
The Royal Waggon Corps 1799
The Royal Waggon Train (RWT)1803-1833
The Land Transport Corps (LTC) 1855-1856
The Military Train (MT) 1856-1869

(It must be noted that during this period 1869-1889 the SNCO’s and OR’s were formed into the ASC (1st Army Service Corps) and worked well)

The Control Department 1869 (Officers) & 1st ASC (SNCO’s & OR’s)1869-1881
Commissariat & Transport Department (CTD) 1875
Commissariat & Transport Staff (CTS) 1880
Commissariat & Transport Corps (CTC) 1881

The Army Service Corps (ASC) 1889-1918 (renamed from 1st ASC of 1869-1889)
The Royal Army Service Corps (RASC) 1918-1965
The Royal Corps of Transport (RCT) 1965-1993
The Royal Logistic Corps (RLC) 1993-present

Regards

FBK
Old 29-08-16, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsoldier View Post
Ken,

If you could do mate that would be fantastic...

Tom
UNKNOWNSOLDIER

Here you go Tom,

Please see images attached.

FBK

Note;
This memo was actually dated 1986, but is the exact list of CES (Complete Equipment Schedule) that we all wore (in the RCT) during the 1970's into the 1990's

Your personnel weapon [9mm, SMG or SLR, LMG] Mags + Ammo is to also be added to this list

(3.) Kidney Pouches: Mess Tins, KFS, Spare Socks & Underwear, Washing & Shaving Kit,

1980s CES.jpg 2nd page

P8290030.jpg 1st page

Last edited by Fatboy Ken; 29-08-16 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Added last paragraph
Old 07-09-16, 06:21 PM

Here's my office display so far

Photo is correct way up on my desktop, but turns this way when its loaded here :/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1079.jpg (76.0 KB, 43 views)
Old 07-09-16, 07:56 PM

That looks like a 1984 pattern Combat Smock. I would have chosen either a Para Smock, Windproof Smock or Arctic Smock.

Also a Bergen not the standard 58 pattern pack.

Marc
Old 08-09-16, 12:05 AM

Managed to last out until 1992 in 68 pattern. Was there a difference between a windproof and arctic smock? Was the 'SAS' smock the windproof smock? Regards, Paul.

Last edited by wardog; 08-09-16 at 12:11 AM.
Old 08-09-16, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardog View Post
Managed to last out until 1992 in 68 pattern. Was there a difference between a windproof and arctic smock? Was the 'SAS' smock the windproof smock? Regards, Paul.
Two separate items, The arctic smock was a touch bigger and looser with a large hood and wire stiffener similar to the cold weather parka and i think ? the loop at the front for a rank slide , the S.A.S smock was lighter and the colors slightly lighter more yellow / light brown
Old 08-09-16, 07:22 AM

I have yet to get the smock correct (I want a para one and then the bergen will come off for I believe fighting order, but until then :/), this was the nearest I could come up with for the sake of display for the minute TBH an RE/EOD badged smock for £5 I couldn't knock

And the pack is just as an exemplar, it's not meant to be perfect for the minute, I'm taking time finding the kit at bootfairs
Old 08-09-16, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Two separate items, The arctic smock was a touch bigger and looser with a large hood and wire stiffener similar to the cold weather parka and i think ? the loop at the front for a rank slide , the S.A.S smock was lighter and the colors slightly lighter more yellow / light brown

This thread has me thinking. I don't recall an arctic smock, but the quilted, long parka with a hood in general, yes; vaguely. I never had one.

However, the windproof smock was the "SAS" smock, as I recall, with either a wire hood (which I had) or without the wire also. I think there was rank slide tab on them like the later '95 kit was as a standard.

It was popular to prefix the windproof smock designation with "SAS" and even the parkas were colloquially referred to as "Falklands" parkas, too. It's been a few years now...so I'm probably totally confused.

I can't "close the window" when I load a pic on the open forum, but I can post images in my album? So this was my windproof smock twenty-odd years ago: http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ctureid=132598

I'll remove it in a day or two.

Best,

Marcus
Old 08-09-16, 09:06 AM

Default Smock, Windproof, Camouflaged

This is the so-called 'SAS' smock I was issued with in the late seventies. No rank tab, no FFD pocket and no wired hood found on the later Smock, Windproof, Arctic. Four bellows pockets, one pen pocket, interior pocket and poachers pockets.

The ventile material was less bright than that used in the Arctic Smock; the buttons tended to fade to a grey green as can be seen in the photo of me wearing it back in the halcyon days of youth.

I do have a DPM Para Smock somewhere. Do PM if you're interested and I'll try and find it for you.

Best

David

DSC08368.jpg

DSC08364.jpg

DSC08361.jpg