British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-06-16, 02:57 PM

Hello Jerry,
So a great many people actually manage to get this wrong, including, for example, google translate, but why?
Kind regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post
Frank,

The spelling changes depending on what word is following which other word, with the mutation from C to G being the most obvious one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030070.jpg (39.4 KB, 28 views)
Old 28-06-16, 03:02 PM

Me too, but, I do wish Chris Coleman, the team and all their fans, in particular those fans in France, the very best of luck and a safe journey home, hopefully not yet.

The "tea towel" is, very sadly, the best I can do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunray9 View Post
It's all 'Dutch' to me !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030069.jpg (39.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 28-06-16, 03:19 PM

That was me, it is only a very small number of idiots, but, they can actually manage to do a completely disproportionate amount of damage, I remember being down on the Cote d'Azur in 1998 and actually trying sanitise myself of anything British, I felt very embarrassed indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
Someone mentioned in a post that the French will be glad to see the back of English fans, and living here, I can say that's very accurate.
Old 29-06-16, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
That was me, it is only a very small number of idiots, but, they can actually manage to do a completely disproportionate amount of damage, I remember being down on the Cote d'Azur in 1998 and actually trying sanitise myself of anything British, I felt very embarrassed indeed.
Thanks Frank, sorry, I should have taken the time to look back and acknowledge you. I agree, a very small number can wreck havoc on a country's image. I had an English friend who was at a Marseilles restaurant with his kids when a passing fan randomly threw a chair into the restaurant. Nice.

Thankfully, it is clear this is minority of dic*heads and not English in general.

Cheers, Tim
Old 30-06-16, 07:54 AM

Quote:
I think you meant to type Cymru?

No I didn't, the C mutates.
Old 30-06-16, 12:58 PM

Indeed, it certainly does seem to, as Jerry pointed out in post number nine, but, why?
Old 30-06-16, 12:59 PM

Yes, they are a complete disgrace.

Quote:
Thanks Frank, sorry, I should have taken the time to look back and acknowledge you. I agree, a very small number can wreck havoc on a country's image. I had an English friend who was at a Marseilles restaurant with his kids when a passing fan randomly threw a chair into the restaurant. Nice.

Thankfully, it is clear this is minority of dic*heads and not English in general.

Cheers, Tim
Old 01-07-16, 08:35 AM

Quote:
That's very true. It was a remarkable turn around for English Rugby after such a disappointing home world cup. I think that's 8 or 9 wins on the trot now? We also saw in the RWC how underestimating seemingly easy teams can go, just ask our South African friends when they lost to Japan.

I am also perplexed by football fans, who seem to revel in violence. Not saying it's all, or even most, but it is enough to put a blight on the game. Someone mentioned in a post that the French will be glad to see the back of English fans, and living here, I can say that's very accurate.
Their whooping of the Aussies on tour has been amazing, well done them. A shame Wales did so poorly against the Kiwi's.

The SA V Japan game was something else, I has to travel to a party in Cardiff and arrived just in time to catch the last 10 minutes. The people having the party were in shock, being from SA, they did not enjoy. As a neutral I was glad to see such a small nation do so well.

Jerry
Old 01-07-16, 09:02 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

Wales were fantastic. They gave everything that they had against Belgium. I have nothing but respect. They will come home with heads held high and probably as heroes. Wonderful stuff.
Old 01-07-16, 09:09 PM

Wales 3 - 1 Belgium
Well done Wales.
Old 01-07-16, 09:18 PM

Team spirit, stamina, raw determination. Wales continue to impress! A well deserved win.
And so refreshing to see world class players like Bale and Ramsey completely unpretentious and emerged in the team effort. And the fans are in a league of their own. Hugely outnumbered, they still managed to fill the arena with their songs and cheers. Total respect. They deserve to make it all the way.

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 01-07-16, 09:24 PM

YES
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cymru football team badge.jpg (72.8 KB, 7 views)

Jerry
Old 02-07-16, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Indeed, it certainly does seem to, as Jerry pointed out in post number nine, but, why?

It's because when Welsh was a spoken language it's so much more natural.

And we most definitely won in the singing. Did anyone else notice that all the Welsh players were singing their national anthem , most unusual.
Old 02-07-16, 09:25 AM

In Italy this week local shops were offering crazy exchange rates to English people and the animosity was unbelievable compared to a year ago. They were however offering very good rates and exceptional service once you showed you were Scottish. Even advertising two rates! Is this a sign of things to come?

Bryan
Old 02-07-16, 01:41 PM

Welsh still is a spoken language. We all speak it in the family and whilst I am not fluent my kids are fully bilingual and go to Welsh Medium schools i.e. they are taught only in the medium of Welsh. Where I am in West Wales at the moment Welsh is the predominant language and in the pub where I watched the game last night it was the main language used by all. Even back home in Cardiff 4 out the 9 houses in my road all speak Welsh and we are not in what is perceived as a Welsh speaking area of Cardiff.
The demand for Welsh Medium schooling continues to rise.
I understand the main reason why Welsh mutates is just to make it easier to flow in speech. There is no hard and fast rule involving vowels, of which Welsh has more than English, or gender. Everything in Welsh is male or female with no mutual gender.
Cofion gorau. Dere ymlaen bechgen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (94.4 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by 41st; 03-07-16 at 09:13 PM.