British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-08-09, 01:49 AM

Default Badges for ID please.

The following three pix are of badges that a friend has requested be identified. I recognize the Arabic badge in white metal for the Federal National Guard of the Federation of South Arabia but not the others. Can any one advise please?
Quicksilver
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NATIVE AMIN.jpg (52.7 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg NGA.jpg (45.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg unknown badges.jpg (37.2 KB, 63 views)
Old 10-08-09, 11:47 AM

Hi,

The first two badges are I believe: (1) K.N.A. - Kano Native Authority Police (Nigeria) circa., 1962. (2) D.N.A. - A variant of the Daura Native Authority Police (Nigeria) circa., 1962.

Zob.
Old 10-08-09, 04:11 PM

Hi again,

Sorry I forgot to add these bits on before I signed off last night. The green flash with red shield and crossed spears, is I understand a modern Kenyan army TRF (Tactical Recognition Flash), and the shoulder title 1RSLR = 1st Royal Sierra Leone Regiment (worn post 1961).

Zob.
Old 10-08-09, 05:46 PM

Default Royal Sierra Leone Regiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by zob View Post
Hi again,

Sorry I forgot to add these bits on before I signed off last night. The green flash with red shield and crossed spears, is I understand a modern Kenyan army TRF (Tactical Recognition Flash), and the shoulder title 1RSLR = 1st Royal Sierra Leone Regiment (worn post 1961).

Zob.
I was in Sierra Leone 1961 - 1963 and we did not wear 1RSLR shoulder Titles, we wore SLR above RWAFF - see http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ead.php?t=5255 - But who knows - the grey cells are so covered in cobwebs, it is difficult to tell.
Old 10-08-09, 09:36 PM

Thanks every one for your identifications. Very unusual items.

BRgds quicksilver
Old 10-08-09, 09:55 PM

Hi,

It is interesting to hear that you were still wearing "R.W.A.F.F"., s/ts for almost 3 years after the regiment had been disbanded in march 1960. Although, this doesn't surprise me at all - as I have often heard of similar practices with other colonial units that were absorbed into post independence regiments, such as the Royal Nigerian Military Forces, the Royal Sierra Leone Military Forces and the Ghana Regiment of Infantry etc. I would however, suggest that the 1R.S.L.R. s/t would most probably have come to the fore during africanization period of Sierra Leone's Military Forces between 1964-67.

Zob.
Old 11-08-09, 06:37 AM

Default RWAFF

And of course the cap badge we wore was a Palm Tree with 'RWAFF' underneath, together with Green and Black Hackle and for some reason a blue triangle on the right side of the Slouch Hat. Mine is in the Dover Museum!
Old 11-08-09, 11:52 AM

Peter, How about posting some photo's of your service over in the Photographs section. We all love the uncommon regiments. I'm sure they would be appreciated by more members than me.
Old 11-08-09, 01:20 PM

Hi Peter,

Many thanks for that - it's fascinating to hear from somebody who actually got their knees brown. Can you remember what colour hose tops you wore, and any chance of seeing a picture of your service days.

Zob.
Old 12-08-09, 10:51 AM

Hosetops were bright blue. I will try and find an appropriate photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gov+Gen's+inspection-1.jpg (58.3 KB, 29 views)
Old 12-08-09, 01:48 PM

Hi Peter,

I don't know who said it - but a picture certainly does speak a thousand words. Absolutely Excellent, and many thanks for posting such a fabulous photograph - a window on our colonial past. Top marks....

Zob.