British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-12-11, 04:10 PM

Default The Stock Exchange Cadets

Here is a pic of the Stock Exchange Cadet Company of the 1st Cadet Batt
of the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers, on parade outside the Hotel de Ville, Brussells 1949.
I am the Lance Corporal closest to the camera.
The Officer Commanding the Parade was a Major Max Karo.
A few years ago now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brussells 1949.jpg (31.1 KB, 132 views)
Old 11-12-11, 04:17 PM

Nice picture, Would you have been badged Royal Fusileers or did you have another badge? Regards Kevin.
Old 11-12-11, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter99 View Post
Here is a pic of the Stock Exchange Cadet Company of the 1st Cadet Batt
of the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers, on parade outside the Hotel de Ville, Brussells 1949.
I am the Lance Corporal closest to the camera.
The Officer Commanding the Parade was a Major Max Karo.
A few years ago now!
You mean "1st Cadet Bn, Royal Fusiliers" - the "Royal Regiment of Fusiliers" was created until 23rd April 1968, with the amalgamation of all the Fusilier regiments.
Old 11-12-11, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Stewart View Post
You mean "1st Cadet Bn, Royal Fusiliers" - the "Royal Regiment of Fusiliers" was created until 23rd April 1968, with the amalgamation of all the Fusilier regiments.
Graham! You mean "except the Royal Regiment of Wales, the Royal Welch Fusiliers". All the OTHER fusiliers, perhaps!
Old 11-12-11, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
Graham! You mean "except the Royal Regiment of Wales, the Royal Welch Fusiliers". All the OTHER fusiliers, perhaps!
Doh - forgot to put 'English' Fusilier regiments
Old 11-12-11, 07:25 PM

Peter,

A great picture, taken the year I was born,so as you say, a few years ago now.

Regards

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 12-12-11, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGLE IRON View Post
Nice picture, Would you have been badged Royal Fusileers or did you have another badge? Regards Kevin.
Hi ANGLE IRON: Yes! We were badged to the Royal Fusiliers.
Thanks for your interest!
Old 12-12-11, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Stewart View Post
Surely, the Royal Fusiliers 7th of Foot, has always been known, and going back well beyond recent amalagamations as the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers.
I would suggest, going back as far as 1685 the regiment was known as the 'Our Royal Regiment of Fuziliers'.
Ref: 'A companion to the British Army 1660 - 1983' by David Ascoli
Old 12-12-11, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter99 View Post
Surely, the Royal Fusiliers 7th of Foot, has always been known, and going back well beyond recent amalagamations as the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers.
I would suggest, going back as far as 1685 the regiment was known as the 'Our Royal Regiment of Fuziliers'.
Ref: 'A companion to the British Army 1660 - 1983' by David Ascoli
Although in ancient form the 7th Foot was for a period known as the Royal Regiment of Fuzileers (much as the 23rd was known as the Royal Regiment of Welsh Fuzileers), the official title of the regiment was formalised in 1881 as the Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) and thus fought two World Wars under that name, which was abbreviated to 'RF'. It is the name under which it is most well known as Graham has rightly said. The merger of all the regiments in the Fusilier Brigade in 1968 led to the re-titling as Royal Regiment of Fusiliers (RRF), the name under which it is still known today.

There is a particularly comprehensive website on today's regiment (RRF) and one of its forebears (the RF) that relates specifically to the association with London here:

http://rrflondon.2day.ws/RRFLondon/s...iliers/2934037

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 12-12-11 at 06:56 PM.
Old 13-12-11, 07:10 PM

I do agree, I should have referred to the Stock Exchange Cadets as being badged in the 1940's to the Royal Fusiliers not RRF.
The RRF has been used for some years now but I took it a bit too far back!

Regarding the RRF origins in 1685 by James II, I see that the www.army.mod.uk website also refers to RR Fuziliers as 'my' not 'the'.

Another, fropar. I should have stated Major Max Karo 'MBE' (a stock broker of course)
There is no doubt he was very dedicated to the Stock Exchange Company and pulled many strings to get the best possible in the hard times of the
1940's.
Not many ACF units travelled to Paris & Brussells in those times,
with drill training weekends at Wellington Barracks with all boots spit & polished.
I can recall the Guards Drill NCO's being under the supervision of RSM 'Piggy' (Reese?) of the Welsh Guards. I did meet him again in BAOR in 1951.
I doubt there has been an Army Cadet or ACF/CCF unit before or since that could meet the Stock Exchange Cadet Company standards in turnout and drill.
Old 20-10-20, 04:14 PM

Hi Peter99 I am from the City of London and North East Sector ACF and doing a history of the Stock Exchange and would like to ask a few question on Maj Karo if you are willing to answer them.
Old 12-02-23, 08:16 PM

Hi Marjon: My apologies for the belated reply, but what are your questions?