British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Air Force (RCAF and CAF)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-04-23, 10:14 PM

Default RCFC Wings

I recently acquired a set of RCFC (Royal Canadian Flying Corps) Wings in the UK. There is a reference to these on page 20 of Warren Carroll’s book WINGS - Canada and Great Britain 1913-1945. The reference notes the wings were a prototype made in about 1916 for the RCFC but never approved and that little information about this period is available. I’ve appended some pictures of the wings for viewing. They are not worn and the dark paper backing largely remains. I’d love to learn more about these if anyone has any further information they can provide.

51F1B788-9E5D-4E48-816F-CF24E7D51FBF.jpg

0BA49E72-4C0D-4D08-996A-B10119430053.jpg
Old 08-04-23, 05:30 AM

....sadly In my opinion I believe these to be a copy, the material is wrong and the reverse is inconsistent with original period wings.The original has green veins within the leaf and wreath areas and is beautiful in construction.The RCFC letters are slender and nicely executed, this differs to your example.most noticeable is the crown on your example which is totally wrong compared to the original.
As previously stated they were a prototype, a few examples exist in the Canadian war museum archives if I recall regards
Steve

Last edited by arrestingu; 08-04-23 at 05:43 AM.
Old 09-04-23, 10:21 PM

I agree with Steve.
You can find a bit of information in Warren Carroll's, Eagles Recalled (p.47). He states this 1916 design was an unissued prototype and only a handful are believed to exist which are accounted for.

Further history can be found in Canadian Airmen and the First World War by S.F. Wise. I note a copy of the book is currently available on Abebooks for a reasonable price.

Happy Collecting!
Old 05-05-23, 05:08 AM

Thanks Gents! I’ll follow up.

I still have to wonder though…..who would have made copies of unauthorized wings and why, to what end? Seems to be a lot of trouble for such an obscure item with minimal demand….unlike a lot of the more “in demand” German or other items…..?