British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-02-23, 12:34 AM

Default Cinque Ports Volunteers

I have uploaded a small album depicting a few items on display at the Rye Castle Museum:

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...p?albumid=4662

Comments and additional info and/or corrections welcome.

JT

Old 26-02-23, 09:03 AM

Thanks JT, I found the pics very interesting

cheer, Tim
Old 26-02-23, 12:54 PM

Nice one, Tim.

At least one dodgy exhibit in amongst them. A couple were even displayed upside down in their cabinets. Not a criticism of the museum, merely an observation.

Thanks for looking, mate.

JT
Old 26-02-23, 10:21 PM

A great display, lovely items
I find the Cinque Ports badges most attractive, especially the Officers ones
You've put a question mark against the RV cap badge, may I ask why? It's a lovely badge.
Cheers

Chris
Old 26-02-23, 10:23 PM

Just noticed the cavalry uniform, very nice, unusual grenade badges on the shoulder straps.
Old 26-02-23, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dg View Post
A great display, lovely items
I find the Cinque Ports badges most attractive, especially the Officers ones
You've put a question mark against the RV cap badge, may I ask why? It's a lovely badge.
Cheers

Chris
Hello Chris,

Thanks for taking the time to look and to comment.

The question mark is because I was unsure whether or not it was RV. Not my area of collecting and I couldn't quite read the far end of the scroll.

JT
Old 26-02-23, 10:52 PM

Looks like definitely a V to me.
Lovely badge.
Cheers JT

Chris
Old 26-02-23, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dg View Post
Looks like definitely a V to me.
Lovely badge.
Cheers JT

Chris
Very difficult to get a decent angle of that particular badge, as it was angled awkwardly in the display case at the museum. Appreciate your input, Chris.

Regards,

JT
Old 27-02-23, 05:30 PM

Hello JT,

Just to say how much I enjoyed your CP album, some very nice photos, particularly liked the detail of the CP Vols button (gives me an example with which to compare one I have). It's a museum I never got round to visiting something I need to rectify.

Many years ago I saw a letter written and signed by Lnt Col Lamb for sale at a London book fair but not being military related I didn't buy it.

For anyone interested a couple of books that cover these regiments are;
Rye Volunteers by LA Vidler
Cinque Ports Battalion by EAC Fazan

Another very good museum in the SE is the Kent Yeomanry/Sharpshooter museum at Hever Castle in Kent.

Many thanks

Steve
Old 27-02-23, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker123 View Post
Hello JT,

Just to say how much I enjoyed your CP album, some very nice photos, particularly liked the detail of the CP Vols button (gives me an example with which to compare one I have). It's a museum I never got round to visiting something I need to rectify.

Many years ago I saw a letter written and signed by Lnt Col Lamb for sale at a London book fair but not being military related I didn't buy it.

Another very good museum in the SE is the Kent Yeomanry/Sharpshooter museum at Hever Castle in Kent.

Many thanks

Steve
Hello Steve,

Long time no speak. Hope all is well?

Thanks very much for this. Appreciate you taking the time to look and contribute.

Coincidentally enough, there is a Captain Vidler pictured in a group photo within the museum, from 1869. I wonder if there is a connection with the author you mention above? I’ll post what I have this evening. Trouble is, the photo was partially obscured behind another exhibit, so my images aren’t too brilliant.

Hever sounds like a good call. I may just pop along this weekend.

Cheers for now.

JT
Old 27-02-23, 06:19 PM

Hi,
Has been a while but all is okay with me.

I would imagine the two Fazan"s must be connected, the author EAC Fazan commanded the battalion in the 1930s.

I meant to mention in my previous post that there is, or was, a CP Vols reenactment/living history group (Napoleon's Wars version) - I think I'd find the uniforms to itchy to join not to mention the chaffing from the high collars.

Hope you're well,

All best

S
Old 27-02-23, 09:48 PM

Here's the photo I referred to in post #10. Having a bit of trouble deciphering some of the names so I have included images incase anyone has an Enigma machine to hand (Vidler line 5):

JT Photo RCMYT.jpg

JT Names 1.jpgJT Names 2.jpg

Here is what I came up with but welcome others having a stab:

Line 1: Lieut. Charlton, Capt. McKown(?), Lieut. Hall, Capt. Sankey, Brig. Major Woolfe RA, Capt. Page, Major Scrivens

Line 2: Lieut. Spence, Capt. Darby, General Cuppage RA, Capt. (F?), Col. Rae, Sarg. Ticehurst, Sarg. Davies. Lieut. Todd

Line 3: Col. Elwyn RA, Capt. Lewis, Lieut. Spain(?), Capt. Englebach

Line 4: Col. Harcourt, Col. Chermside RA, Col. Sir Jas. Baird

Line 5: Col. Clementson (N do A?), Col. B(?), Capt. Vidler

Line 6: Staff at Shoeburyness Camp. N.AA. 1869

This Colonel really has me beaten - looks like B-something-croft or B-something-hoft, maybe?:

JT 1.jpg

JT

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 27-02-23 at 10:35 PM.
Old 14-04-23, 05:52 AM

Hi JT,

Sorry I'm late to the party, but I've only just seen your thread.

You show some crackers in there!

The cap badge is certainly 1st CP RVC (I've some in my Cinque Ports album). The post 1912 blue home service pattern helmet is missing part of the HPC and I'm not sure why the grey 1887 issued helmet has a ball and not a spike unless it's been mixed up with an artillery volunteers item.

I've not seen a surviving grey field service cap before and was unaware it featured a bugle horn boss badge to the front, so thanks for sharing.

I'll have to visit the museum next time I'm in town. As has already been stated, Vidler's book on the Rye Volunteers is a must, as are Fazan's two books on the 5th Bn.

Kind Regards,

Pete
Old 14-04-23, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker123 View Post
Hello JT,

Many thanks

Steve
Last time I visited the Hever museum it was housed in a temporary building with little on display, has it been rehoused back to it;s former site? Will also try a visit if it has.

Regards, Simon.
Old 14-04-23, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Pete View Post
Hi JT,

Sorry I'm late to the party, but I've only just seen your thread.

You show some crackers in there!

The cap badge is certainly 1st CP RVC (I've some in my Cinque Ports album). The post 1912 blue home service pattern helmet is missing part of the HPC and I'm not sure why the grey 1887 issued helmet has a ball and not a spike unless it's been mixed up with an artillery volunteers item.

I've not seen a surviving grey field service cap before and was unaware it featured a bugle horn boss badge to the front, so thanks for sharing.

I'll have to visit the museum next time I'm in town. As has already been stated, Vidler's book on the Rye Volunteers is a must, as are Fazan's two books on the 5th Bn.

Kind Regards,

Pete
Pete,

Thanks for sharing your observations and expertise. Much appreciated.

It’s not a huge display at Rye, but certainly worth a visit for anyone with an interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawthorn View Post
Last time I visited the Hever museum it was housed in a temporary building with little on display, has it been rehoused back to it;s former site? Will also try a visit if it has.

Regards, Simon.

Simon,

Thanks for the heads-up; perhaps worth calling ahead before I pay a visit.

Regards to all,

JT

Tags
cinque ports, museum, volunteers